Biomedical applications for frequency filters

In summary: Hi,When you read about various sensor modalities, like EKG (EGC), EMG, EEG, Ultrasonic imaging, nuclear magnetic resonance imaging, etc., what signal bandwidths are discussed? What filtering ramifications do you see coming from that...?What are some common sources of noise for each of those sensors? What kind of filtering would be most effective given the signal and noise characteristics?
Deathfish

Homework Statement

Hi what are some biomedical applications for
- low pass filter
- high pass filter
- band pass filter
- band stop filter

Homework Equations

-nil-

The Attempt at a Solution

filtering out high frequency noise? eg. handphone signals

Physics news on Phys.org
Deathfish said:

Homework Statement

Hi what are some biomedical applications for
- low pass filter
- high pass filter
- band pass filter
- band stop filter

Homework Equations

-nil-

The Attempt at a Solution

filtering out high frequency noise? eg. handphone signals

Filtering high frequency noise is definitely a valid use. Which filter type(s) could be used for that?

What are typical biomedical monitoring applications? What are typical biomedical sensors? What types (and frequency) signals do each monitor?

Hi,

I asked this question on the Electronics board but was asked to post it here... It is not really a homework question but a general enquiry.. I am barely one year into my course and have no idea on biomedical applications for filters. I searched on Google but can't find anything much except preview abstracts from papers (pay to read).. so I really need help on this, it is not really a major component but it helps to be prepared because this area is not mentioned in any of my textbooks. Thanks!

any help?

Deathfish said:
Hi,

I asked this question on the Electronics board but was asked to post it here... It is not really a homework question but a general enquiry.. I am barely one year into my course and have no idea on biomedical applications for filters. I searched on Google but can't find anything much except preview abstracts from papers (pay to read).. so I really need help on this, it is not really a major component but it helps to be prepared because this area is not mentioned in any of my textbooks. Thanks!

When you read about various sensor modalities, like EKG (EGC), EMG, EEG, Ultrasonic imaging, nuclear magnetic resonance imaging, etc., what signal bandwidths are discussed? What filtering ramifications do you see coming from that...?

EDIT -- And what are some common sources of noise for each of those sensors? What kind of filtering would be most effective given the signal and noise characteristics?

1. What are frequency filters used for in biomedical applications?

Frequency filters are used in biomedical applications to selectively filter out specific frequencies from a signal or waveform. This is useful in analyzing and interpreting physiological signals, such as electrocardiograms or electroencephalograms.

2. How do frequency filters work in biomedical devices?

Frequency filters work by using electronic circuits to allow only specific frequencies to pass through while attenuating or blocking out other frequencies. This allows for precise isolation and analysis of specific physiological signals.

3. What types of biomedical devices use frequency filters?

Frequency filters are commonly used in a variety of biomedical devices, including medical imaging equipment, patient monitoring systems, and diagnostic tools. They are also used in hearing aids and other assistive listening devices.

4. What are some potential benefits of using frequency filters in biomedical applications?

The use of frequency filters in biomedical applications can provide several benefits, such as improved accuracy and sensitivity in detecting physiological signals, reduced interference from external noise, and the ability to customize the frequency range for different applications.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks or limitations to using frequency filters in biomedical devices?

While frequency filters can be highly beneficial in biomedical applications, there are some potential limitations to consider. These include the potential for distortion of the signal, difficulty in adjusting the filter to accommodate for changes in the signal, and the need for regular calibration to maintain accuracy.