1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Biophysics BS BioEng Grad vs. BioEng BS Biophys Grad

1. Mar 13, 2012 #1
    I am currently a freshman in Biological Engineering and second guessing my major... I'm very interested in research and certain that I want to go to gradschool after my BS. I'm not 100% sure what I want to study but I'm leaning in the direction of molecular biophysics, computational bio, structural biochem, etc... or possibly optics, photonics. I realize that I should be able to get into at least a decent BME graduate program with BME BS or a Biophysics program with Physics BS but I am wondering which of the two (biophysics or bioeng BS) will keep my options most open. Will I be well prepared for BME program with a BS in physics with biology emphasis? What about a Biophysics program with a BS in BioEng? I still have about 1 more semester to make my decision before I will begin to fall behind should I decide to switch to physics. I have a passion for math and physics (not as interested in engineering applications at this point) and obviously biology, but I am mainly concerned with not backing myself into a corner! Having the engineering degree, even if it is just a BS, would definitely be nice to fall back on. I would appreciate some insight from people who have been in a similar situation, but general opinions are helpful as well.

Thanks in advance for your help!

*Also it may be worth noting that I'm working in a computational neurobiology/modeling lab

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted