"Biot-Savart equivalent" of Faraday's Law?

In summary: The Jefimenko equations may be consistent with the equation above, but that's not really the point of the question. The point of the question is whether the Biot-Savart Law (equation without taking into account Coulomb's Law) is consistent with the Jefimenko equations.I don't know.
greswd
This is a repeat of this thread https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/biot-savart-version-of-maxwell-faraday-equation.855423/

That thread was dominated by one verbose poster. I am repeating this thread so as to hear the opinions of others.Ampere's Law can be derived from the Biot-Savart Law.
0246.png

Faraday's Law is similar to Ampere's Law.

Is there a "Biot-Savart equivalent" of Faraday's Law?

I imagine it might look something like this: (not taking into account Coulomb's Law)

[tex]\frac{d\vec{E}}{dV}=\frac{-\left(\frac{∂\vec{B}}{∂t}\right)×\vec{1_r}}{4\pi r^2}[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Without an equation like the one above, how can we construct the entire E-vector field due to a changing magnetic field?

Maxwell's equations include ##∇×B=\mu_0 J## and ##∇×E=-\frac{∂B}{∂t}##

##∇×B=\mu_0 J## cannot adequately describe the Biot-Savart Law, the same with ##∇×E=-\frac{∂B}{∂t}##, which is why I've conceived the above.

jedishrfu said:
It seems there's not much response here.
Also have you checked with your profs?
Yeah, but I don't think that this is a boring question.

Prof is asleep. No response.
The wiki doesn't have anything on this.

I thought of this question because of the parallel between E and M and I also want to construct the entire E-vector field due to a changing magnetic field

Try finding a prof who isn't asleep maybe an applied mathematics profs or one in EE.

Well, if the magnetic field is time dependent then also very likely the electric field is, and then you need (generally) the full Maxwell equations. So the Ampere law should be used as the full Ampere-Maxwell Law,
$$\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{B}-\frac{1}{c} \partial_t \vec{E}=\frac{1}{c} \vec{j}.$$
The Maxwell equations for given charge-current distributions are solved by the retarded propagator (aka Jefimenko equations):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefimenko's_equations

Likes jedishrfu
vanhees71 said:
The Maxwell equations for given charge-current distributions are solved by the retarded propagator (aka Jefimenko equations):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefimenko's_equations

Ooh, thanks for bringing that to my attention. I had conceived Jefimenko's idea independently, now I know of the equations.

is the formula below (after taking into account Coulomb's Law) consistent with the Jefimenko equations?

[tex]\frac{d\vec{E}}{dV}=\frac{-\left(\frac{∂\vec{B}}{∂t}\right)×\vec{1_r}}{4\pi r^2}[/tex]

1. What is the "Biot-Savart equivalent" of Faraday's Law?

The "Biot-Savart equivalent" of Faraday's Law is a mathematical formula that relates the magnetic field produced by a current-carrying wire to the electric field produced by a changing magnetic field. It is based on the principles of electromagnetism and is used to calculate the magnetic field at a given point in space.

2. How is the Biot-Savart equivalent used in electromagnetic theory?

The Biot-Savart equivalent is used in electromagnetic theory to describe the relationship between electric and magnetic fields. It is often used in the study of electromagnetic induction and is an important tool in understanding the behavior of electric and magnetic fields.

3. What are the key differences between Faraday's Law and the Biot-Savart equivalent?

The main difference between Faraday's Law and the Biot-Savart equivalent is the type of field they describe. Faraday's Law relates to the production of electric fields due to a changing magnetic field, while the Biot-Savart equivalent relates to the production of magnetic fields due to a current-carrying wire.

Additionally, Faraday's Law is based on the concept of electromagnetic induction, while the Biot-Savart equivalent is based on the principle of superposition, which states that the total magnetic field at a point is the sum of the individual fields produced by each current element in the wire.

4. Are the Biot-Savart equivalent and Ampere's Law related?

Yes, the Biot-Savart equivalent and Ampere's Law are related as they both describe the relationship between magnetic fields and current. Ampere's Law states that the magnetic field around a closed loop is proportional to the current passing through the loop, while the Biot-Savart equivalent describes the magnetic field produced by a current-carrying wire at a point in space.

5. In what real-life applications is the Biot-Savart equivalent used?

The Biot-Savart equivalent is used in a variety of real-life applications, including the design of electromagnets and electric motors, the study of electromagnetic induction in power generation, and the calculation of magnetic fields in medical imaging devices such as MRI machines. It is also used in engineering and physics research to analyze and predict the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in different systems.