1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I "Biot-Savart equivalent" of Faraday's Law?

1. Apr 29, 2016 #1
    This is a repeat of this thread https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/biot-savart-version-of-maxwell-faraday-equation.855423/

That thread was dominated by one verbose poster. I am repeating this thread so as to hear the opinions of others.

Ampere's Law can be derived from the Biot-Savart Law.
    0246.png

Faraday's Law is similar to Ampere's Law.

Is there a "Biot-Savart equivalent" of Faraday's Law?

I imagine it might look something like this: (not taking into account Coulomb's Law)

[tex]\frac{d\vec{E}}{dV}=\frac{-\left(\frac{∂\vec{B}}{∂t}\right)×\vec{1_r}}{4\pi r^2}[/tex]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2016 #2
    Without an equation like the one above, how can we construct the entire E-vector field due to a changing magnetic field?

4. Apr 30, 2016 #3
    Maxwell's equations include ##∇×B=\mu_0 J## and ##∇×E=-\frac{∂B}{∂t}##

##∇×B=\mu_0 J## cannot adequately describe the Biot-Savart Law, the same with ##∇×E=-\frac{∂B}{∂t}##, which is why I've conceived the above.

5. May 1, 2016 #4

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

6. May 1, 2016 #5
    Yeah, but I don't think that this is a boring question.

Prof is asleep. No response.
    The wiki doesnt have anything on this.

I thought of this question because of the parallel between E and M and I also want to construct the entire E-vector field due to a changing magnetic field

7. May 1, 2016 #6

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Try finding a prof who isn't asleep maybe an applied mathematics profs or one in EE.

8. May 2, 2016 #7

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Well, if the magnetic field is time dependent then also very likely the electric field is, and then you need (generally) the full Maxwell equations. So the Ampere law should be used as the full Ampere-Maxwell Law,
    $$\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{B}-\frac{1}{c} \partial_t \vec{E}=\frac{1}{c} \vec{j}.$$
    The Maxwell equations for given charge-current distributions are solved by the retarded propagator (aka Jefimenko equations):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefimenko's_equations

9. May 2, 2016 #8
    Ooh, thanks for bringing that to my attention. I had conceived Jefimenko's idea independently, now I know of the equations.

is the formula below (after taking into account Coulomb's Law) consistent with the Jefimenko equations?

[tex]\frac{d\vec{E}}{dV}=\frac{-\left(\frac{∂\vec{B}}{∂t}\right)×\vec{1_r}}{4\pi r^2}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted