• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Bird's book "Transport Phenomena"

• Classical
  • Thread starter Est120
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

in the book " transport phenomena" (Bird) when obtaining the famous equation of hagen poiseuille
Bird defines a variable that involves the pressure, but when doing an exercise a term magically disappeared, someone could explain to me what happened
why we took into account the pressure in this balance and in the previous exercise (thin film) we did not

watch this

Answers and Replies

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
I have a 1960 edition (!) and found HP $$Q={\pi \left ( {\mathfrak P}_0 - {\mathfrak P}_L \right ) R^4\over 8\mu L}\qquad\qquad(2.3-19)$$
##{\mathfrak P} = p - \rho gz## and (2.3-10) is as in your picture.

What exercise are you referring to with

1566677888919.png

I have a 1960 edition (!) and found HP $$Q={\pi \left ( {\mathfrak P}_0 - {\mathfrak P}_L \right ) R^4\over 8\mu L}\qquad\qquad(2.3-19)$$
##{\mathfrak P} = p - \rho gz## and (2.3-10) is as in your picture.

What exercise are you referring to with

View attachment 248629
In chapter 2 ,but in 2nd edition after balancing momentum in a pipe

The term that involves gravity ,what happens with that term?

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
we took into account the pressure in this balance and in the previous exercise (thin film) we did not
Didn't find a thin film exercise -- but it will likely be vertical flow. Perhaps yours is horizontal ? Still don't know what exercise you are referring to. Can you post the complete problem statement for the example you are asking about or do you want me to keep sleuthing ?