What exactly determines a bivariate distribution in statistics?

In summary: Delta z]$ in order to compute the chance that $Z$ is in that range. However, sometimes we can infer the joint distribution from the marginal distributions, and sometimes we can't. It depends on the specific situation.
covariance
I'm having some trouble wrapping my head around multi-variate distributions. Most textbooks describe it by starting off with two random variables [tex]X, Y[/tex] and introducing [tex]P(X \leq x, Y \leq y)[/tex]. This initially led me to believe that [tex]X, Y[/tex] uniquely determine the distribution over [tex]R^2[/tex] - I later confirmed with my TA that this isn't true and that one must explicitly specify the cdf on [tex]R^2[/tex]. Moreover one cannot determine mutual independence given only the distributions, and there exist both dependent and independent distributions for any given pair of random variables.
Since this is the case, wouldn't it be better to describe [tex](X, Y)[/tex] as a map from the sample space to [tex]R^2[/tex] and require that the marginal distributions be equal to X and Y? Or have I got the concept somewhat wrong? Some books also casually define random variables as functions of multiple random variables (e.g. [tex]Z = g(X, Y)[/tex]) and this is a bit confusing too. Don't I need the distribution on [tex](X, Y)[/tex] to get anything useful out of [tex]Z[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
Any clarification would be great. Thanks!A:<blockquote><p>Most textbooks describe it by starting off with two random variables X, Y and introducing P(X ≤ x, Y ≤ y). This initially led me to believe that X, Y uniquely determine the distribution over R2 - I later confirmed with my TA that this isn't true and that one must explicitly specify the cdf on R2.</p></blockquote>Yes, this is correct. The joint distribution of $X$ and $Y$ does not determine the marginal distributions of $X$ or $Y$, so you have to specify all four of the marginal and joint distributions when describing the multivariate distribution.<blockquote><p>Moreover one cannot determine mutual independence given only the distributions, and there exist both dependent and independent distributions for any given pair of random variables.</p></blockquote>Yes, this is correct. The joint distribution tells you both the marginal distributions as well as any dependence between them.<blockquote><p>Since this is the case, wouldn't it be better to describe (X, Y) as a map from the sample space to R2 and require that the marginal distributions be equal to X and Y?</p></blockquote>No, this is not the same thing. A map from the sample space to $\mathbb{R}^2$ implies that the joint distribution of $X$ and $Y$ is completely determined. Furthermore, it implies that $X$ and $Y$ are independent, since knowing the value of either does not tell you anything about the value of the other. However, we typically don't assume that $X$ and $Y$ are independent, so this description is too restrictive.<blockquote><p>Some books also casually define random variables as functions of multiple random variables (e.g. Z = g(X, Y)) and this is a bit confusing too. Don't I need the distribution on (X, Y) to get anything useful out of Z?</p></blockquote>Yes, you need to know the joint distribution of $(X,Y)$ in order to compute the distribution of $Z$. That is, you need to know the probability that $Z \in [z

What is a bivariate distribution?

A bivariate distribution is a probability distribution that involves two random variables. It shows the relationship between the two variables and how they are related to each other.

What is the difference between a univariate and bivariate distribution?

A univariate distribution involves only one random variable, while a bivariate distribution involves two random variables. In a univariate distribution, the probability is calculated for different values of a single variable, while in a bivariate distribution, the probability is calculated for different combinations of two variables.

How is a bivariate distribution represented?

A bivariate distribution is typically represented graphically using a scatter plot or a contour plot. A scatter plot shows the relationship between the two variables by plotting their values on a two-dimensional graph. A contour plot shows the probability distribution by using lines or colors to represent different levels of probability.

What is the purpose of studying bivariate distributions?

Studying bivariate distributions allows us to understand the relationship between two variables and how they affect each other. This can be useful in many fields, including statistics, economics, and psychology. It can also help us make predictions and analyze data more accurately.

What are some common examples of bivariate distributions?

Some common examples of bivariate distributions include the normal distribution, the binomial distribution, and the exponential distribution. These distributions are often used to model real-world phenomena and can be found in many statistical analyses.