1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Black hole question (temperature)

1. Sep 25, 2012 #1
    hey guys,

i'm working on this question to approximate the entropy of a black hole,

the approximation is that for the maximum entropy to be obtained you need a maximum number of particles to create the black hole, the particles must have low energies - large wavelength photons, but the maximum wavelength of the photons are twice the radius of the black hole.

so E = hc/λ=hc/2R

R = 2GM/c^2 (black hole of mass M)

The total energy of the black hole will be E_t = M c^2 and need

E_t = N hc/2R =M c^2

so from here you can find N to be N= 2MRc/h

and using the approximation that S = N k_b you can find the entropy of the black hole

S = (2 M R c k_b)/h

this entropy differs from the literature entropy by a factor of pi which i assume is due to the nature of the approximations,

my problem is, i want to find the temperature of the black hole using the entropy S i calculated

S = Q/T, but what is Q?

I have found online that Q=Mc^2, but I don't understand why.

using the literature expression for S i tried to derive the literature expression of the temperature by T = Q/S using Q=Mc^2 but the result differs by a factor of 2.

here is the working (literature case)

S=k_b (4 pi G M^2)/(hbar c)

T= Q/S = Mc^2 (hbar c)/ (4 pi G M^2 k_b)
    =c^3 hbar/ (4 pi G M k_b)
    but the literature value of T is
    c^3 hbar/ (8 pi G M k_b)

which means that Q should = (1/2)Mc^2, but i don't understand why

what is the correct Q i should be using?

thank you in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2012 #2
    No one has any ideas?

4. Sep 25, 2012 #3
    I'll be honest and tell you I don't really know, but what I think based on something I read once is that the energy (temperature) that escapes from a black hole (the only temperature you could measure) are the particle pairs that are created at the event horizon. It is 1/2 because only one of the pair escapes and gets far enough away to decay relasing the energy (e=mc^2) ?????? That really is a wild guess.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook