Exploring the Science of Black: Absorption, Emission, and Perception

• Thread starter coktail
  • Start date
In summary, there were two questions about the color black - one regarding reflected light and another regarding emitted light. The first question discussed the concept of a perfect black body, which absorbs all radiation and appears as a dark spot. The possibility of creating a surface with 0% reflectiveness was also mentioned, as well as the use of baffles or reflective surfaces to create the illusion of a solid object. The second question delved into the different ways that displays, such as plasma and LCD screens, can produce black. It was noted that a plasma TV turns off pixels, while an LCD blocks the light emitted by a diode. The conversation also touched on the phenomenon of a CRT screen appearing dark grey when turned off, but turning black when
coktail
Hi all. I have a couple questions regarding the “color” black.

First question, regarding reflected light:

Would a perfectly black object with no reflectiveness to its surface absorb 100% of the light that hits it? If so, would it activate no rods/cones on the observer’s retina whatsoever, and essentially be a blank spot in their vision that appears pure black? Is such a thing even possible (outside of a black hole)?

Second question, regarding emitted light:

I know that some TVs and other types of screens are capable of producing darker blacks than others. How can something that emits light emit black at all when it is actually the absence of light? Wouldn’t it just not activate its LEDs (if it’s an LED display) for the areas of the screen it wants to be darkest?

Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
coktail said:
Would a perfectly black object with no reflectiveness to its surface absorb 100% of the light that hits it? If so, would it activate no rods/cones on the observer’s retina whatsoever, and essentially be a blank spot in their vision that appears pure black? Is such a thing even possible (outside of a black hole)?

You're talking about what's known as a perfect black body. They don't actually exist, except possibly a black hole, but you are correct. It would absorb all radiation falling on it and you would not be able to see it at all except as a dark spot.

I don't know the answer to your 2nd question.

Thank you!

As for question #2, it looks like it depends on the type of display. A plasma TV will actually turn off pixels to display black, but an LCD will block the light being emitted by a diode. I'm finding this information here: http://www.rtings.com/info/lcd-vs-led-vs-plasma/how-they-work

Question #2 got my interest. I've seen CRT screens that look dark grey when turned off. But when I turn the computer on, the screen actually turns black. How is that possible? Optical illusion? Or with the grey, and I getting light from inside the monitor, but that light is blocked when the screen turns on?As for the first question, we have not succeeded at making anything 0% reflective or 100% reflective. We've gotten down to 0.3% reflective, but you would still see some faint reflection on the surface, making it not true black. They can also put baffles on the surface so that light hitting the part you are looking at is reflected away from your eyes, so you don't see it. Or with a reflective surface, they can make an image appear right in front of you so that if your eyes are at just the right location, you will think you are looking at something solid.

Thanks for the reply, Stargazer!

Stargazer19385 said:
I've seen CRT screens that look dark grey when turned off. But when I turn the computer on, the screen actually turns black. How is that possible? Optical illusion? Or with the grey, and I getting light from inside the monitor, but that light is blocked when the screen turns on?

I don't see how there could be light coming from inside the monitor when it's off, but maybe when it's on, the pixels of the screen that block the light are actually a truer black than when they are completely off. I don't know if this is possible.

Stargazer19385 said:
Or with a reflective surface, they can make an image appear right in front of you so that if your eyes are at just the right location, you will think you are looking at something solid.

Would this be a hologram?

What is black?

Black is a color that absorbs all visible light and reflects little to no light. It is the darkest color, with the absence of any light.

What is reflection?

Reflection is the change in direction of a wave, such as light or sound, when it bounces off a surface. It is the process by which an object reflects light and other waves back into the environment.

What is emission?

Emission is the production and release of light or other forms of energy from a source. In the context of black, emitted light is typically absorbed and not reflected, resulting in the appearance of black.

What is the difference between black, reflected, and emitted?

Black refers to the absence of light, while reflection is the bouncing back of light from a surface. Emission is the release of light or energy from a source. Black can result from the absorption of light or the lack of reflection or emission.

How do black, reflected, and emitted relate to each other?

Black, reflection, and emission are all related to the behavior of light. Black is the absence of light, reflection is the bouncing back of light, and emission is the release of light from a source. They are all important concepts in understanding the properties of light and how it interacts with objects in our environment.