Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Blackbody in photoelectric effect

1. Dec 21, 2008 #1
    any electron will be emitted if i use a black body as a metal target in photoelectric effect experimant and why??

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2008 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Why are you mixing these things? A blackbody, emits EM spectrum from heat. Why is this being mixed with something that emits electrons via absorption of light?

Zz.

4. Dec 22, 2008 #3
    why radiation vs wavelength curve of plack radition formula become lower after reaching a certain amount of energy???is it related to threshhold frequency or anything else plz explain me.

5. Dec 22, 2008 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Not until you answer my question.

Zz.

6. Dec 22, 2008 #5
    when emw incident on a metal(including black body)..the atoms of the metal gains the energy of hmeu..and become excited and try to go the upper level continously.it seems as if there creates a random movemnet of electron inside the atom so i think but not sure a lot of probability to get off a electron from the metal..and creates current like photoelectric effect.so i asked u if i used a black body as a metal target the same thing will happen or not??and u said not..but i am still unsure.plz explain me.

7. Dec 22, 2008 #6

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

A "blackbody" need not be a metal! The sun is often considered as a 'blackbody' emitter. Do you think it is a "metal"?

If you wish to know about the photoelectric effect, ask about the photoelectric effect. If it is a metal, then it will obey what metals do. What you use that metal for (either as a photocathode or as the material of your "blackbody") is irrelevant since the property of that material is already defined.

BTW, you might want to read the FAQ first regarding what happens with the property of "individual atoms" when they form a solid. The properties such as photoelectric effect, has nothing to do with the property of individual atoms. The process of photoemission is more complicated than what you are describing here, and I have no idea if I should go into it since I have no clue on your background.

Zz.

8. Dec 22, 2008 #7
    dont be afraid plz explain me the whole thing

9. Dec 22, 2008 #8

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It's not a matter of being afraid. It's a matter of wasting my time.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?