Photoelectric effect -- direction of the electron's trajectory

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
mertcan
Messages
343
Reaction score
6
Hi, I would like express that I really tried to dig something about the formula related to electron direction in photoelectric effect, but I could not find. Also I have seen that electron direction in photoelectric effect is not known according to some sites in internet. So, ıs it real that in which direction electron goes when photon hits the metal surface in photoelectric effect?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
mertcan said:
Hi, I would like express that I really tried to dig something about the formula related to electron direction in photoelectric effect, but I could not find. Also I have seen that electron direction in photoelectric effect is not known according to some sites in internet. So, ıs it real that in which direction electron goes when photon hits the metal surface in photoelectric effect?

The direction is not defined. However, if the material is a single-crystal, i.e. the entire surface has a well-ordered crystal orientation, then there will be directions that are preferred. This is exploited in angle-resolved photoemission spectroscopy (ARPES) technique. Do a search on this and you'll see it.

Zz.

Edit: References:
http://arxiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0209476
https://arxiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0208504
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: sophiecentaur