Can infrared photons also eject electrons in 'photoelectric effect'?

In summary, thermoelectrics are not very efficient or cheap, so you won't see them in many applications where more conventional technologies are used.
royp
Hello,

I have this question whether it will be possible to generate electricity by heating up a suitable metal (conductor). We know from the photoelectric effect that high energy photons (of visible light; probably with frequency closer to that of violet) can knock off the outer electrons from some material in enough numbers to create a significant electric current - as is evident from solar panels.

Are there suitable metals/materials having outer electrons quite loosely bonded to the atoms in such a way that the electrons can be ejected from them by simply heating these materials sufficiently - so much so that it will produce useful electric current?

This question is prompted by a 'stove fan' I recently purchased. There is a motor at the back of the fan and it appears that the bottom of the fan, when placed above the stove and heated, supplies 'power' to the motor.

I will be grateful for your explanations. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
royp said:
Summary:: My question is whether it will be possible to generate electricity by heating up a suitable metal by means of 'photoelectric effect'

Are there suitable metals/materials having outer electrons quite loosely bonded to the atoms in such a way that the electrons can be ejected from them by simply heating these materials sufficiently - so much so that it will produce useful electric current?
Thermionic emission is a common phenomenon. The hot filament in thermionic valves liberates electrons from its surface. They can be drawn off from the filament by a very low Potential Difference between this Cathode and a positive Anode. This doesn't 'generate electricity' though.
However, neither photo electrons nor thermionic electrons are a useful source of energy in themselves. The most effective way to get energy from photons is to use the energy gap across the gap in a semiconductor device (Photovoltaics) or with the Seebeck effect, which produces a current with two junctions - (hot and cold). It's the Seebeck effect that works a stove fan; hot junction in close contact with the stove top and cool(er) junction in contact with the heatsink (blown by the fan, once it gets going).
The

Many thanks, sophiecentaur; for an absolutely spot on and clear explanation. With my limited knowledge of electronics, It helped enormously!

Likes sophiecentaur
Many thanks for your reply, DaveE. I read the reply in my email but did not see in this thread.
In this connection, I would like to ask something related. I had a chat recently with a friend. They need to use a large fan (15 Kw motor) for circulation/cooling purposes and curious to know whether utilising waste heat generated at his work (industry) can help. They use a large furnace to generate heat.

I believe, the current/voltage produced with two junctions semiconductor device by Seebeck effect is minimal. As the heat generated in my friend's place is huge, is it possible to use many small similar devices each producing a small voltage; then using a step-up transformer (or something similar) to accumulate significant voltage to run the fan (15 Kw)? Is it feasible?

Thanks in advance

royp said:
Many thanks for your reply, DaveE. I read the reply in my email but did not see in this thread.
In this connection, I would like to ask something related. I had a chat recently with a friend. They need to use a large fan (15 Kw motor) for circulation/cooling purposes and curious to know whether utilising waste heat generated at his work (industry) can help. They use a large furnace to generate heat.

I believe, the current/voltage produced with two junctions semiconductor device by Seebeck effect is minimal. As the heat generated in my friend's place is huge, is it possible to use many small similar devices each producing a small voltage; then using a step-up transformer (or something similar) to accumulate significant voltage to run the fan (15 Kw)? Is it feasible?

Thanks in advance
I deleted that reply (about peltier devices, RTGs, solid-state refrigerators) since those devices really don't use IR photons. It's nearly always conducted heat. Of course photons can move heat too, but it just isn't efficient. So, I thought I was answering a question you didn't really ask.

While thermoelectric devices are interesting and are successful in niche applications, they just aren't very efficient or cheap, so you won't see them in many applications where more conventional technologies are used.

What you are referring to for your friends waste heat is called cogeneration and it is common in large facilities, but I don't think you'll ever see it done with Peltier devices, there are better ways.

We designed systems with Peltier coolers (for big laser diodes) and my rough rule of thumb was that in a good design to provide 1W of cooling you would have to input 2W of electric power and then remove 3W of heat from the hot side. So you can see they are pretty lossy devices.

They are even less efficient when used to generate electricity. Here's a manufacturer of TEC's that claims 5% efficiency for power generation.

Last edited:

1. Can infrared photons cause the photoelectric effect?

Yes, infrared photons can also cause the photoelectric effect. The photoelectric effect is the emission of electrons from a material when it is exposed to electromagnetic radiation, and infrared photons are a type of electromagnetic radiation.

2. How does the energy of infrared photons compare to other types of photons in the photoelectric effect?

Infrared photons have lower energy compared to other types of photons, such as ultraviolet or X-rays. This means that they require less energy to eject electrons in the photoelectric effect.

3. Can the intensity of infrared light affect the photoelectric effect?

Yes, the intensity of infrared light can affect the photoelectric effect. The higher the intensity of the light, the more photons are present, increasing the chances of electron ejection.

4. Is there a specific wavelength of infrared light that is most effective in causing the photoelectric effect?

Yes, there is a specific wavelength of infrared light that is most effective in causing the photoelectric effect. This wavelength is known as the threshold frequency and varies depending on the material being exposed to the light.

5. Can the photoelectric effect be observed with the naked eye?

No, the photoelectric effect cannot be observed with the naked eye. It requires specialized equipment, such as a photodetector, to detect the emission of electrons from a material when exposed to infrared light.