Block on a ramp problem - energy

In summary, the package is projected up a 15º incline with a zero velocity and a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.12. The height at the top of the incline is 2.588m. To determine the initial velocity at point A, the equations for energy and friction are used. However, the work term must be of a form force*distance and potential energy should not be counted twice. The correct calculation for work is -μmgcos(15) - mgsin(15) = mgh - 0.5mv^2.
Marioqwe

Homework Statement

Package is projected 10 m up a 15º incline so that it justreaches the top of the incline with zero velocity. μk =0.12

a) Determine initial velocity of package at A

Homework Equations

Energy and friction equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Height at the top of ramp h = 2.588m

Work = change in energy

W = -μmgcos(15) - mgsin(15) = mgh - 0.5mv^2

But I get the wrong answer. Am I supposed to use potential energy? and if not why not?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Marioqwe said:
W = -μmgcos(15) - mgsin(15) = mgh - 0.5mv^2

But I get the wrong answer. Am I supposed to use potential energy? and if not why not?
(1) If you include potential energy, that automatically takes care of the work done by gravity. Don't count it twice.
(2) The work terms must be of a form force*distance. You left out the distance.

I see my mistake. many thanks Doc Al.

1. What is a block on a ramp problem?

A block on a ramp problem is a physics problem that involves a block or object resting on an inclined plane or ramp. The goal is to determine the forces acting on the block and calculate its motion and energy.

2. What is the relationship between the height of the ramp and the potential energy of the block?

The potential energy of the block is directly proportional to the height of the ramp. As the height increases, so does the potential energy of the block. This is because the higher the ramp, the greater the gravitational potential energy of the block due to its increased height above the ground.

3. How does the angle of the ramp affect the kinetic energy of the block?

The angle of the ramp affects the kinetic energy of the block by changing the amount of work done on the block. As the angle increases, the ramp becomes steeper and more work is required to move the block up the ramp, resulting in a decrease in the block's kinetic energy. Conversely, as the angle decreases, less work is required and the block's kinetic energy increases.

4. What is the role of friction in a block on a ramp problem?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of the block and acts in the direction opposite to its motion. In a block on a ramp problem, friction can affect the block's motion by either reducing or increasing its kinetic energy, depending on the direction of the force. Friction also plays a role in determining the maximum angle at which the block can remain stationary on the ramp.

5. How can the conservation of energy be applied to a block on a ramp problem?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. In a block on a ramp problem, this means that the total energy of the block (kinetic + potential) remains constant throughout its motion. This principle can be used to solve for unknown variables and predict the motion of the block at any point on the ramp.