Calculate velocity of block down a ramp using energy conserv

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Scatteredheroes
Messages
20
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A 2kg block slides down a 3 m long ramp that is inclined at 40 degrees. The coefficient of friction is .2

What is the velocity when it hits the bottom of the ramp?

Homework Equations



Kinetic = 1/2 mv^2
Potential = mgh
Work of friction: Fnμ*(displacement)

The Attempt at a Solution



1/2mv^2 + mgh = 1/2mv^2 + mgh - Fnμ*(displacement)

v = 8.237.
[/B]
I don't think that's right, because I didn't take into account the angle. What do I need to do?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You can start by drawing a free body diagram (those always help).
 
Not in this case ... a fbd won't tell OP the correct height the block falls.