Block on a wedge connected to pulleys

In summary: No, that would not work in the limit ##\theta \to 0##. But that's not the only way to discard it. See posts #12 and #15.No, that would not work in the limit ##\theta \to 0##. But that's not the only way to discard it. See posts #12 and #15.In summary, the correct relation between the velocities of the block and wedge in the given scenario is (v2)(1+sin(theta)) = -v1, where theta represents the
Hamiltonian
Homework Statement
in the figure block moves downward with a velocity v1, the wedge moves rightwards with velocity v2. the correct relation between v1 and v2 is.
Relevant Equations
-
nlock on wedge.jpeg

if the tiny block moves downward by an amount x, the wedge should also move forward by the same amount x as they are connected by the same string whose length has to remain constant, (by differentiating it wrt time we get speed) hence I concluded that v1 = v2, but my book says otherwise what is wrong with my intuition here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hamiltonian299792458 said:
they are connected by the same string whose length has to remain constant,
Yes, but the distance between the two pulleys reduces, leaving more string elsewhere.

Likes Lnewqban
Looks to me like the pully from which the V1 block is hanging is tied to the wedge, which complicates things. I'm agreeing w/ haruspex.

haruspex said:
Yes, but the distance between the two pulleys reduces, leaving more string elsewhere.
the distance between the pulleys reduce because the tiny block moves down

the distance between the pulleys reduce because the tiny block moves down
No, it reduces because the wedge moves right.

Homework Statement:: in the figure block moves downward with a velocity v1, the wedge moves rightwards with velocity v2. the correct relation between v1 and v2 is.
"The correct relation between v1 and v2 is ##\dots##" is what? Are we looking at a multiple choice problem with missing choices?

In any case, I would write the total length of the string as the sum of three pieces, one horizontal, one vertical and one slanted. Note that angle ##\theta## depends on time which means that the length of the slanted piece also depends on time. That's what @phinds and @haruspex were alluding to.

kuruman said:
"The correct relation between v1 and v2 is ##\dots##" is what? Are we looking at a multiple choice problem with missing choices?
yes its a multiple choice problem

yes its a multiple choice problem
And the choices are ##\dots##?

a) v2 = v1
b) v2 = v1*sin(theta)
c) 2(v2)sin(theta) = v1
d) (v2)(1+sin(theta)) = v1

a) v2 = v1
b) v2 = v1*sin(theta)
c) 2(v2)sin(theta) = v1
Consider two extremes, ##\theta =0## and ##\theta \to\pi/2##.

a) v2 = v1
b) v2 = v1*sin(theta)
c) 2(v2)sin(theta) = v1
Thank you for providing the choices. Strictly speaking they are all incorrect. The statement of the problem defines v1 and v2 as "velocities." The horizontal length of string is decreasing whilst the vertical length is increasing. Therefore there a negative sign is needed in front of v1 in all the expressions. Although the problem asks for a relation between velocities, the provided choices are relations between speeds.

One of the listed expressions provides the correct relation between speeds and you can identify it by following @haruspex's suggestion in #10. It would be instructive, however, to actually derive that expression. Then you will become more confident that you know how to "do" problems of this kind just in case you see one again on a test but without choices.

haruspex said:
Consider two extremes, ##\theta =0## and ##\theta \to\pi/2##.
using this method, I feel it should be option
as both the wedge and tiny block will move with the same speed when theta = 0, but if let's say there was another option (e) (v2)(1 + 2sin(theta)) = v1 there would be no way to discard this right?
also, you could also get confused with option b) v2 = v1*sin(theta) if you have the wrong intuition

using this method, I feel it should be option

as both the wedge and tiny block will move with the same speed when theta = 0, but if let's say there was another option (e) (v2)(1 + 2sin(theta)) = v1 there would be no way to discard this right?
also, you could also get confused with option b) v2 = v1*sin(theta) if you have the wrong intuition
That is why it is safer to derive the correct expression. I have sometimes seen multiple choice questions with all answers incorrect because of some typo or error by the author. In other cases, more than one answer could be construed as correct because of ambiguities in the statement of the problem. Is your goal to learn how to do physics or how to eliminate the wrong answers assuming that only one of them is correct?

kuruman said:
Is your goal to learn how to do physics or how to eliminate the wrong answers assuming that only one of them is correct?
my goal is to learn physics I was only responding to a method of solving a problem, as I felt that method isn't a very general method.

my goal is to learn physics I was only responding to a method of solving a problem, as I felt that method isn't a very general method.
Great. If you decide to derive the correct answer, we are here to help.

let's say there was another option (e) (v2)(1 + 2sin(theta)) = v1 there would be no way to discard this right?
No, that would not work in the ##\pi/2## extreme. The section of rope connecting the two pulleys approaches the horizontal, and it should be clear that v1 tends to 2v2, not 3v2.

The main reason I suggested to consider these cases was to make it clear that the horizontal distance between the pulleys (equivalently, the angle theta) affects the ratio of the two speeds. But it can also be handy in the time pressure of an exam.
As @kuruman says, the more instructive approach is to derive the relationship independently of the offered choices.

Create unknowns for the the lengths of the three sections of rope, for the total length of rope, and for the vertical height between the two pulleys. What two equations can you write relating those and the angle?

Likes Hamiltonian

1. What is a block on a wedge connected to pulleys?

A block on a wedge connected to pulleys is a simple machine system that consists of a block of mass placed on a wedge, which is connected to a set of pulleys. The pulleys are used to change the direction of the force applied to the block, making it easier to move the block.

2. How does a block on a wedge connected to pulleys work?

The block on a wedge connected to pulleys works by using the principle of mechanical advantage. The wedge and pulleys are used to increase the force applied to the block, making it easier to move. The wedge helps to reduce the friction between the block and the surface it is resting on, while the pulleys change the direction of the force, making it easier to pull or lift the block.

3. What are the main components of a block on a wedge connected to pulleys?

The main components of a block on a wedge connected to pulleys are the block, the wedge, and the pulleys. The block is the object that is being moved, the wedge is used to reduce friction, and the pulleys are used to change the direction of the force applied to the block.

4. What are the advantages of using a block on a wedge connected to pulleys?

There are several advantages of using a block on a wedge connected to pulleys. Firstly, it makes it easier to move heavy objects by reducing the amount of force needed. Secondly, it reduces the risk of injury as it requires less physical effort. Lastly, it allows for precise and controlled movements of the block.

5. How can a block on a wedge connected to pulleys be used in real-life applications?

A block on a wedge connected to pulleys has many real-life applications. It can be used in construction to lift heavy materials, in elevators to move the elevator car up and down, and in cranes to lift and move large objects. It is also used in simple machines such as a block and tackle system, which is used to lift and move heavy objects in a controlled manner.