1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Block on a wedge

1. Mar 11, 2015 #1
    Suppose we want to find the constraint equation relating the acceleration of a block on a wedge to the acceleration of the wedge (see attached images). We can write:
    $$h - y = (x - X) \tan{\theta}$$
    What if ##X## was measured to the centre of mass of the wedge for instance? Wouldn't the correct equation be:
    $$h - y = (X - x) \tan{\theta}$$

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2015 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I see how you got this and it makes sense.

I do not see how you got that. You still need the sides of the same triangle, you've just redefined what X is. So you need to rewrite your first equation using your new X. For example, if ## X_{cm} = X + a##, then your formula would become ##h - y = (x - X_{cm} + a) \tan{\theta}##.

4. Mar 11, 2015 #3
    I just realized the error in my reasoning. This makes sense now. Since ##X## and ##X_{cm}## differ by a constant, their second derivatives should be equal. We chose ##X## to be the distance to the edge of the wedge to simplify the trigonometry required, right?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  5. Mar 11, 2015 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook