1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Block-on-Block attached by String to Block in Pulley on Incline

1. Mar 24, 2014 #1
    Hi all,

The problem is shown below - but no answer was given to this, and the teacher did not plan on taking it up, since it was optional extra practice.

My attempt at a solution: http://imgur.com/DmrgMMO, my final answer was 2.76 kg.

I was wondering if this was right or wrong, and if anyone could show me the proper steps.

Thanks for your time.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2014 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

attachment.php?attachmentid=67978&d=1395711617.png

Your solution for the maximum acceleration of Block C looks fine.

I haven't gone through the rest of your solution, but with that, it should be pretty straight formard to fin the force necessary to accelerate Block B & C at that value.

4. Mar 24, 2014 #3
    Ah, quick specific question, my calculation for the X component of the Fg for Block B+C, was done by adding up both masses.

But looking at example 3 here: http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/newtlaws/Lesson-3/Double-Trouble

Should I have just calculated X component for Fg of Block B+C with just the mass of B?

5. Mar 24, 2014 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Block C is stationary with respect to Block B, so you can threat them as a single object.

6. Mar 24, 2014 #5
    Thanks very much.

Everything's clear to me now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted