1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Block released from spring slides up a ramp

1. Nov 2, 2009 #1
    [SOLVED] Block released from spring slides up a ramp

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    fada240b6cd911d42a59c5a7d7ddd12d.png

2. Relevant equations
    I'm thinking conservation of energy:
    K1+U1+WOther=K2+U2
    But really I'm not quite sure where to start here.

3. The attempt at a solution
    So far, I've calculated the velocity of the block after it leaves the spring, before it hits the ramp and I get that to be 3.553 m/s2. What is tripping me up here is the coefficient of friction, and how to apply that to the block as it travels up the ramp. If I turn the coordinate system so that the x axis is parallel to the ramp, then we can figure the x component of the velocity to be 3.553*Cos(38) I believe, but I'm not sure if that is useful to me or not.

I think if I could get some confirmation on which direction to take with this that would be very helpful. Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2009 #2
    Of course I figured it out after asking.

First I figured out that the Fk = n*.200, or cos(38)*(9.8)*(4)*(.200) = 6.178.

Next I figured out the force due to gravity, Fg = sin(38)*(9.8)*(4) = 24.134.

Add the two together and divide by mass (4kg) to get acceleration of 7.578.

Plug that in to vf2 = vi2 + 2ad to get d = .833 or so. Sorry to bother everyone!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook