Block sliding on an inclined plane

In summary, the block moves up the ramp at a speed of -6.6 m/s, but when it moves back down, the force is different and it falls less than 10 m/s.
JoshMP

Homework Statement

A 2.0 kg wood block is launched up a wooden ramp that is inclined at a 30 ^\circ angle. The block's initial speed is 10\;{\rm m}/{\rm s}. The coefficient of kinetic friction of wood on wood is \mu_k=.200.

What speed does it have when it slides back down to its starting point?

Homework Equations

F=ma
v^2= vi^2 +2as

The Attempt at a Solution

I've found the net force along the x-axis, used that to find the acceleration along x. I used this acceleration in the kinematic equations but I keep getting the wrong answer. I'm positive I found the correct acceleration because I got the correct answer for the first part of the question, which asked how far the block travels up the incline. The answer is NOT 10 m/s...(which I completely do not understand why it isn't).

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a free body diagram and all of the relevant forces.

JoshMP said:
The answer is NOT 10 m/s...(which I completely do not understand why it isn't).

Friction is constantly opposing the motion and slowing down your system. You have to take that into effect.

I might try a=F(net)\m for your kinematics equations. Remember for F(net) to include friction force.

efekwulsemmay said:
Draw a free body diagram and all of the relevant forces.

Friction is constantly opposing the motion and slowing down your system. You have to take that into effect.

I might try a=F(net)\m for your kinematics equations. Remember for F(net) to include friction force.

I already did all that. I found Fnet to =13.2 N, which means a= -6.6 m/s^2. Since there is a constant acceleration (because there is a constant force, as you noted), I should be able to plug this value into the kinematic equations. I'm still getting the wrong answer.

Honestly, you got me. Are you taking the 30 degree angle into equation? They gave it for a reason although right now I can't for the life of me figure it out.

Yeah, I used the angle when calculating the net force. Fnet= (friction) + (x component of gravity)= (mu*n) + (mgsin30)= (mu*mgcos30)+(mgsin30)

The force has to be found first. Using the force you can caluclate the acceleration, which must be constant. The acceleration allows you to use the kinematic equations.

Wait, the force isn't constant. The friction force is constant. The net force is not. This is because the friction force is lowering the magnitude of the net force as the motion proceeds within the system. I am not sure how to express this mathematically, possibly
[tex]F_{net}=F_{final}-F_{initial}[/tex]
or something to that effect. Don't take my word for it though. That formula is just a shot in the dark.

EDIT: also shouldn't the x component of gravity be mgcos30 and the normal mu*mgsin30?

I don't mean to interrupt you two working this out, but I am going to try to add some helpful input. I worked the problem and found the acceleration of the block moving up the ramp to be a=-6.6 m/s as well. I then used this number to find the distance the block traveled. Then when the block moves back down the ramp, you have to draw a new free-body diagram. This time the friction force and the force pulling the block down the ramp are not in the same direction the the acceleration is different. Using this new acceleration and the distance traveled in the first part, use the equation Vf^2-Vi^2=2*a*deltaX. This will give you a final velocity less than 10 m/s which I believe is correct.

w3390 said:
I don't mean to interrupt you two working this out, but I am going to try to add some helpful input. I worked the problem and found the acceleration of the block moving up the ramp to be a=-6.6 m/s as well. I then used this number to find the distance the block traveled. Then when the block moves back down the ramp, you have to draw a new free-body diagram. This time the friction force and the force pulling the block down the ramp are not in the same direction the the acceleration is different. Using this new acceleration and the distance traveled in the first part, use the equation Vf^2-Vi^2=2*a*deltaX. This will give you a final velocity less than 10 m/s which I believe is correct.

Yep, that's it. I didn't realize I had to draw a new free body diagram. Thanks a lot both of you!

1. What is the relationship between the angle of the inclined plane and the acceleration of the block?

The angle of the inclined plane affects the acceleration of the block. As the angle increases, the acceleration decreases, and as the angle decreases, the acceleration increases. This is because a steeper angle requires more force to overcome the force of gravity pulling the block down the incline.

2. How does the mass of the block impact its motion on an inclined plane?

The mass of the block does not affect its motion on an inclined plane. According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass. Since the force of gravity and the normal force on the block are both affected by its mass, they cancel each other out and do not affect the acceleration of the block.

3. What is the role of friction in a block sliding on an inclined plane?

Friction plays a crucial role in the motion of a block on an inclined plane. It opposes the motion of the block and is responsible for the block eventually coming to a stop. The amount of friction depends on the coefficient of friction between the block and the inclined plane's surface.

4. How can we calculate the acceleration of a block on an inclined plane?

The acceleration of a block on an inclined plane can be calculated using the formula a = gsinθ, where a is the acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and θ is the angle of the inclined plane. This formula assumes that there is no friction present.

5. Does the height of the inclined plane affect the acceleration of the block?

The height of the inclined plane does not affect the acceleration of the block. As long as the angle of the inclined plane remains the same, the height does not play a role in the block's acceleration. However, a higher inclined plane will result in the block traveling a longer distance before coming to a stop due to friction.