Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Blogger Blocked

1. Jul 18, 2006 #1
    Not some blogger, but Blogger, Google's blog site. For two days the Live Bookmarks of a couple of blogs that I follow (one being PF's very own string theorist-in-the-making, Dimitri Terryn) weren't loading (and they still don't!), and I wasn't able to access the site as well. Today, while watching the news on TV, I came across this story. The Indian Government has ordered all ISP's to block certain inflammatory blogs. But it so happens that ISP's have blocked the whole Blogger site. Their reason -

:grumpy:

http://www.ibnlive.com/news/censored-govt-signs-out-bloggers/15886-3.html

Looks like India is trying to compete with China even in blocking websites. :rolleyes:

Thankfully, there are a few others (Cosmic Variance, for instance) which I've been able to follow. (But for how long? :uhh: )

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2006 #2

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

They banned yahoo groups last time.

4. Jul 18, 2006 #3
    When was that?

5. Jul 18, 2006 #4
    You could try a proxy server.

6. Jul 18, 2006 #5
    Yes, I think they did mention something along those lines on TV. *Goes off to google info*

7. Jul 18, 2006 #6

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

8. Jul 18, 2006 #7
  9. Jul 18, 2006 #8
    Get a free open source blog software and get a host. That is what I did. I'm not saying my blog is inflammatory :uhh:

10. Jul 18, 2006 #9
    This is outrageous! I am suddenly reminded of a quote of the PC game Alpha Centauri

"Beware of he who seeks to widhold you information...for in his heart he dreams himself your master."

11. Jul 18, 2006 #10
    This is just happening here. I am not able to access Geon Oh's blog,too.

12. Jul 18, 2006 #11
    Yeah, I misread the article. I edited my response, but just too late it seems. I do hope that this will be rectified soon, because it seems that it was never the intention to block the whole domains.

13. Jul 19, 2006 #12
  14. Jul 19, 2006 #13
  15. Jul 19, 2006 #14
  16. Jul 20, 2006 #15
    Just noticed that the blogs are back!

17. Jul 20, 2006 #16
    Haha yes, you beat me to it though :tongue2:

18. Jul 20, 2006 #17
    But they've been down (again!) for sometime now. Crazy ISPwalas.

19. Jul 20, 2006 #18
    Oh they're working fine right now (at least from my place). So much for advertisement (lol): http://darkmav.blogspot.com/ and http://darkmav.wordpress.com (okay wordpress was never banned and I imported my blogger blog to this account for backup...who knows what they do next!)

20. Jul 20, 2006 #19
    Can't see your blogspot site, but it looks like you're into topology these days. ;)

21. Jul 20, 2006 #20
    I am not into anything mate, just killing time and reading anything that comes in front of my eyes. :smile: Thats what holidays are for, I guess.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?