Bmax in Bohr's calculation for energy loss of charged particles (classical case)

In summary: I think T = 2b/v is right.Since the electric energy is E = Ze^2/b=mv^2/2 and T = mv=2E/v, thus, T = 2Ze^2/bv.Well, I wrote that very quickly and a factor 2 went lost :).The exact result for momentum transfer is Δp = (Ze2)/(2π ε0 bv) in SI units.The force at the closest distance b is F(b) = (Ze2)/(4π ε0 b2).So, when one takes Δp = F(b)τ, one gets the correct factor 2 for...
BUI TUAN KHAI
Dear all,

I have inquiries about the Bohr's calculation for energy loss of charged particles. These inquires are from the "Techniques for Nuclear and Particle Physics Experiments" (W.Leo).

On page 23 of this book, it is written that:

• the the interaction time is t = b/(γv), with b is the distance of atomic electron from the trajectory of incident particle and v is the velocity of incident particle.
  • orbital period of electron is τ = 1/ν, with ν is the orbital frequency of atomic electron
Why the interaction time of incident particle and atomic electron is t = b/v ? Does it means that it is considered as head-on collision ? It so, how about the electric force and Lorentz force that can be happen since incident particle and electron are both charged ?

It is written that t = b/(γv) ≤ τ = 1/ν, and the reason is just for the interaction between incident charged particle and atomic electron can happen, isn't it ?

Thank you so much.

Physics news on Phys.org
BUI TUAN KHAI said:
Dear all,
I have inquiries about the Bohr's calculation for energy loss of charged particles. These inquires are from the "Techniques for Nuclear and Particle Physics Experiments" (W.Leo).

On page 23 of this book, it is written that:

• the the interaction time is t = b/(γv), with b is the distance of atomic electron from the trajectory of incident particle and v is the velocity of incident particle.
  • orbital period of electron is τ = 1/ν, with ν is the orbital frequency of atomic electron
Why the interaction time of incident particle and atomic electron is t = b/v ? Does it means that it is considered as head-on collision ? It so, how about the electric force and Lorentz force that can be happen since incident particle and electron are both charged ?

It is written that t = b/(γv) ≤ τ = 1/ν, and the reason is just for the interaction between incident charged particle and atomic electron can happen, isn't it ?

Thank you so much.

The calculus is done in the so-called impulsive approximation.
The upper limit to the impact parameter b is given by the fact that the interaction duration must be much less than the electron orbital period, since otherwise the electron can not be considered at rest during the interaction.
The classical momentum transfer in a collision goes as Dp = Ze^2/bv (1).
The electrostatic force at the distance of b is F(b) = Ze^2/b^2 (2).
From the impulse of the force you get Dp = F(b)*T (3), whereT is the interaction time.
Comparing (1), (2), (3) it is easily seen that "it is as if" the interaction lasts T = 2b/v.
In relativistic case, all is the same except that v becomes gamma*v, where gamma is the lorentz factor.
Hope it helps.

Fek_ said:
The calculus is done in the so-called impulsive approximation.
The upper limit to the impact parameter b is given by the fact that the interaction duration must be much less than the electron orbital period, since otherwise the electron can not be considered at rest during the interaction.
The classical momentum transfer in a collision goes as Dp = Ze^2/bv (1).
The electrostatic force at the distance of b is F(b) = Ze^2/b^2 (2).
From the impulse of the force you get Dp = F(b)*T (3), whereT is the interaction time.
Comparing (1), (2), (3) it is easily seen that "it is as if" the interaction lasts T = 2b/v.
In relativistic case, all is the same except that v becomes gamma*v, where gamma is the lorentz factor.
Hope it helps.

Dear Fek,

Based on the impulse approximation, T = 2b/v. but the time for interaction that I mentioned is t = b/v. they are not the same !

Please help. I am also thinking.
Thanks.

In fact I wonder how Fek_ got this 2 from the equations he wrote :)
So let's write everything more readable...
During the interaction, you have some momentum change: [itex]\Delta p = \frac{Z e^2}{bv}[/itex]
and the force at [itex]r=b[/itex] is [itex]F(b)= \frac{Ze^2}{b^2} \Rightarrow Dp= F(b) \times T[/itex]
Or:
[itex] \frac{Z e^2}{bv}= \frac{Ze^2}{b^2} T \Rightarrow T= b/v [/itex]

As noted, in the relativistic case again, [itex]T=\frac{b}{\gamma v}[/itex]

ChrisVer said:
In fact I wonder how Fek_ got this 2 from the equations he wrote :)
So let's write everything more readable...
During the interaction, you have some momentum change: [itex]\Delta p = \frac{Z e^2}{bv}[/itex]
and the force at [itex]r=b[/itex] is [itex]F(b)= \frac{Ze^2}{b^2} \Rightarrow Dp= F(b) \times T[/itex]
Or:
[itex] \frac{Z e^2}{bv}= \frac{Ze^2}{b^2} T \Rightarrow T= b/v [/itex]

As noted, in the relativistic case again, [itex]T=\frac{b}{\gamma v}[/itex]

I think T = 2b/v is right.
Since the electric energy is E = Ze^2/b=mv^2/2 and T = mv=2E/v, thus, T = 2Ze^2/bv.

Well, I wrote that very quickly and a factor 2 went lost :).
The exact result for momentum transfer is Δp = (Ze2)/(2π ε0 bv) in SI units.
The force at the closest distance b is F(b) = (Ze2)/(4π ε0 b2).
So, when one takes Δp = F(b)τ, one gets the correct factor 2 for τ = 2b/v.
Though, remind that the semi-classical Bohr's calculation, like this, is just a crude approximation. The Bethe-Bloch quantum mechanical approach is the proper way. It is not so difficult as one might think, at least for the "close" collisions". Try it :).

Fek_ said:
Though, remind that the semi-classical Bohr's calculation, like this, is just a crude approximation. The Bethe-Bloch quantum mechanical approach is the proper way. It is not so difficult as one might think, at least for the "close" collisions". Try it :).
Dear Fek,

But can I know the reason why t = b/v ≤ τ = 1/ν ? I don't understand the physics meanings.

Fek_ said:

Can you explain it for me?
This will be helpful for me. because i have a report tomorrow.

1. What is Bmax in Bohr's calculation for energy loss of charged particles?

Bmax is the maximum impact parameter in Bohr's calculation for energy loss of charged particles. It represents the closest distance between the charged particle and the target nucleus in which the particle can still experience a significant energy loss.

2. How is Bmax determined in Bohr's calculation?

Bmax is determined by considering the balance between the Coulomb repulsion between the charged particle and the target nucleus and the energy loss due to the particle's interaction with the atomic electrons of the target.

3. Why is Bmax important in Bohr's calculation?

Bmax is important because it helps determine the critical energy of the charged particle, which is the minimum energy needed for the particle to interact with the electrons of the target and experience a significant energy loss. It also plays a crucial role in determining the stopping power of the particle.

4. How does Bmax affect the energy loss of charged particles in Bohr's calculation?

Bmax directly affects the energy loss of charged particles as it determines the maximum amount of energy that can be transferred from the particle to the target electrons. A smaller Bmax leads to a higher energy loss, while a larger Bmax results in a lower energy loss.

5. Are there any limitations to using Bmax in Bohr's calculation?

Yes, there are limitations to using Bmax in Bohr's calculation. It is based on a classical approach and does not take into account quantum effects, such as multiple scattering and energy straggling, which can significantly affect the energy loss of charged particles. Additionally, Bmax is only applicable for small impact parameters and does not account for larger distances between the particle and the target nucleus.