Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

BodyMedia Weight Management System opinions

1. May 10, 2012 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

One of my friends told me about this interesting little device called the BodyMedia weight management system. Here's a linky linky to amazon's listing. My friend has been losing weight (as have I) and he uses this thing and thinks it's great. Has anyone used this? Know of its accuracy? Reliability? Opinions welcome :)

http://www.worldnewswire.info/wp-co...dy-media-armband-and-activity-manager.nl_.bmp

DISCUSS!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2012 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I see people wearing these but I've never used one.

My $0.02: anything that acts as a reminder to eat less and move more is a good thing.

4. May 11, 2012 #3

rhody

Gold Member

The Rhody meter bracelet (imaginary) repeating mantra says:

1. Stop drinking all aritificially sweetened drinks, good for 10 lb weight loss, more if you are heavier.
    2. Substitute healthy snacks, apples, etc... for unhealthy ones.
    3. Walk away from every main meal when 1/2 to 2/3rds consumed. No exceptions.
    4. Exercise in moderation at least 3 times a week for one hour, your choice, walking, cardio, weights, etc...
    5. Repeat steps 1 - 4 consistently for 6 months, do not weigh yourself, judge by belt size only. Observe result, I think you will be pleased.

Rhody...

5. May 11, 2012 #4
    lol, and is there a "quick link" button to upload your numbers to Facebook? An option to tweet the results of your last exercise routine.

Reminds me of a progress bar on Role Playing Video Games; and seems to be the only "useful" thing this thing does. To "see Results" before actual seeing any real results.

How does it know calories burned / consumed / how long you slept ect?

I had a poutine for lunch and haven't exercised today.

Only 1/2 a gold star for today.

6. May 11, 2012 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

You're all killing me here.

7. May 11, 2012 #6
    Hmm a different perspective,

I am myself, I can't change myself without benchmarks, feedback ect.

I personally don't care to remember/know the calories I consumed, burned how long I slept.

I have a remote control car toy, and I like to know all the details, battery volts, motor RPM, temperature ect. I could just check the temp with my hand and ball park the amp hours left in the battery and get by just as well; but the "real time data" is way cooler/funner.

This weight management device seems like it falls under a similar "toy" category.

8. May 11, 2012 #7

rhody

Gold Member

Someone's gotta Peng...

Rhody... o:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook