Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Building a database management system

1. Sep 14, 2008 #1
    This semester, we have to build a database management system (DBMS) as a mini-project.

We do have the database theory course covering database management concepts, sql and pl/sql. The project is to be done using Oracle and possibly Visual Basic for the front end and maybe a programming language for other tasks.

Even with lab sessions, there is little hands-on database designing done, and this makes it hard for me to get an overall idea. I was thinking of using Python as the programming language (having had good experiences with it), connecting it to Oracle using cx_Oracle module.

Again I do not know if this is the easiest or the mainstream way of doing things, googling is of little use as there are so many technologies. It is overwhelming!

Also if I need to design a database driven website, what are the other technologies that I would need? How much web server programming is required? Unfortunately, I have no experience there.

I'm missing the big picture here, so any clarifications, links, suggestions or books to refer to are appreciated.
    Oh, and I am always willing to learn :)

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted