Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Bohr energy equation and Ionization energy

1. Oct 11, 2006 #1
    Hey, I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this. I need to take the Bohr energy equation ( En= -2.178 x 10^-18) (Z^2 /n^2) and the Inoization energy equation ( IE= Einfinity - Eground state). I need to somehow modify the bohr energy equation that can be used to find the inonization enery of hydrogen in kJ/mol.

I'm completly stuck so if anyone could give me some pointers on how to start this problem that would be awesome!!!

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2006 #2
    For the ionization energy of hydrogen, it means that n (initial) is 1 and n (final) is infinity. Substitute those 2 values into Bohr equation to get 2 values. (1 over infinity = 0) Then the difference of the 2 values is the ionization energy for 1 hydrogen atom . Finally, remember to multiply the ionization energy for 1 hydrogen atom with Avogadro constant to get the ionization energy in unit KJ/mol.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook