1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bohr energy equation and Ionization energy

1. Oct 11, 2006 #1
    Hey, I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this. I need to take the Bohr energy equation ( En= -2.178 x 10^-18) (Z^2 /n^2) and the Inoization energy equation ( IE= Einfinity - Eground state). I need to somehow modify the bohr energy equation that can be used to find the inonization enery of hydrogen in kJ/mol.

I'm completly stuck so if anyone could give me some pointers on how to start this problem that would be awesome!!!

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2006 #2
    For the ionization energy of hydrogen, it means that n (initial) is 1 and n (final) is infinity. Substitute those 2 values into Bohr equation to get 2 values. (1 over infinity = 0) Then the difference of the 2 values is the ionization energy for 1 hydrogen atom . Finally, remember to multiply the ionization energy for 1 hydrogen atom with Avogadro constant to get the ionization energy in unit KJ/mol.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?