Boiling Point of Nitrogen References

In summary, the individual is requesting clarification on whether or not to cite a source for the boiling point of liquid nitrogen (77.36K) in their report, and if so, what would be a reliable source. They also inquire about the accuracy and establishment of this value. A suggested source for this information is the CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, which can be easily accessed online through a university subscription. The boiling point of liquid nitrogen is determined experimentally, but may vary slightly due to external factors.
Seannation
I'm writing up a report on an experiment I did involving liquid nitrogen.

I need to state the boiling point of liquid nitrogen (77.36K) in the report, as I've used it in calculations, but I don't know if I should get a reference for it or not. I did use a reference (Wikipedia and Google searches) to find the 77.36K value, but I don't know whether it is common to assume that a physical property of a substance like its boiling temperature is correct in scientific reports without citing a source.

And, if I do need to reference a source for the boiling point, does anyone know of a good source to use? Would I find this value in a journal somewhere?

Also, is there an error on 77.36K? An error on this temperature would be helpful to propagate through to my final results' errors.

Finally, I'd like to know how the value of 77.36K was established. Was it one study that conclusively found this value to be 77.36K, a general consensus amongst professionals, or is it defined as that value (in the way that 100 degrees Celsius is defined as the temperature of the boiling point of water at sea level)?

Help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Good source of this is hte CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, great for all sorts of data (and for stunning small animals)
It's been published every year for a century so you can often pick up a few year old copy for very little in library sales - and the boiling point of LN2 hasn't changed much!

The boiling point is established experimentally, you simply boil some with a thermometer in it. There is single definitive boiling point (assuming a single isotope) but in a real experiment there will be a variation due to atmospheric pressure and impurities.

Last edited:
Cheers for that.

My university is an Athens subscriber so I can access the online version of that CRC handbook.

1. What is the boiling point of nitrogen?

The boiling point of nitrogen is -195.8°C (-320.4°F) at standard atmospheric pressure.

2. How does the boiling point of nitrogen compare to other elements?

The boiling point of nitrogen is lower than most other elements, with only helium and hydrogen having lower boiling points.

3. What factors affect the boiling point of nitrogen?

The boiling point of nitrogen is primarily affected by pressure and temperature. As pressure decreases, the boiling point also decreases. As temperature increases, the boiling point increases.

4. Can the boiling point of nitrogen be changed?

Yes, the boiling point of nitrogen can be changed by altering the pressure and temperature conditions. It can also be affected by impurities or other substances mixed with it.

5. Why is knowing the boiling point of nitrogen important?

The boiling point of nitrogen is important in various industries, such as in cryogenics and the production of liquid nitrogen. It is also important in the study of chemical reactions and processes involving nitrogen compounds.