Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bolt dimensions In plate bending

1. Feb 5, 2010 #1
    Hey

I have this plate, and as you can see it has 4 bolt connections and no other. When applying the load bending will occur in the plate. I am interested in making the diameter of bolt as small as possible. My problem is though that I only can see the shear forces in the plate.

How can I find the shear forces in the bolts ? (I guess these forces will be equal of the normal forces in the plate ??)

I am familiar with estimating bolt dimensions using shear force, but I am looking for a way to find the shear stress in the bolts, when in this case the applied force is perpendicular to the plate, hence in same direction as the bolts ...

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2010 #2
  4. Feb 5, 2010 #3
    Hi

It is exactly that case I would like to calculate, but the thing is that I have to estimate the force P (from this example) from the force that I apply vertical on the plate (and not in the shear direction as in the example).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook