1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boltzmann Distribution Relative Population of 2 atomic states

1. Oct 9, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The relative population of two atomic population states in equilibrium is given by Boltzmann Distribution:

n1/n0 (proportional to) e^(-ε/(κT)) , where ε is the energy difference between the two states, T is the temperature and κ is the Boltzmann constant = (1.38 x 10^(-23) J/K). For the transition from n = 2 to n = 1, the energy difference is 10.2 eV. Calculate the population of the n = 1 state compared to the ground state for a temperature of T = 6000K.

2. Relevant equations

n1/n0 (proportional to) e^(-ε/(κT))
    I don't know if I need any other equations, but I tried and tried so perhaps I do.

3. The attempt at a solution

What I want is n1/n0. So I use the information given by the problem to solve for the constant of proportionality.

n2/n1 = C * e^(-10.2ev/(1.38*10^-23 J/K * 6000 K )
    n2/n1 = C * 3.75567 × 10^-9
    C = (n2/n1)/(3.75567 × 10^-9)

so n1/n0 = C * e^(-ε/KT)

but the problem is I dont have the epsilon for this energy difference, and I dont have n2/n1 to calculate C. halps me please.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted