1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using Maxwell Boltzmann distribution to find number of atoms

1. May 2, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

You will recall from our discussion of the Franck-Hertz experiment that the energy difference between the first excited state of mercury and the ground state is 4.86 eV. If a sample of mercury vaporized in a flame contains 1.06×1020 atoms in thermal equilibrium at 1563 K, calculate the number of atoms in the first excited state. Assume that the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution applies and that the n = 1 (ground) and n = 2 (first excited) states have equal statistical weights.

2. Relevant equations

The Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution:

[itex]f(E)=A e^{\frac{E}{k_{b}T}}[/itex]

where A is a constant
    k_b is the boltzmann constant = 8.617*10^-5 eV/K
    and T is the temperature

n(E)dE = g(E) * f(E) dE

where n(E) = # per unit energy
    g(E) = # of states per energy E
    f(E) = MB distribution

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm still having trouble learning how to use distributions, so bear with me (or help me understand it :))

I started off by normalizing the distribution by:

[tex]\int\limits_0^\infty f(E)^2 dE [/tex]

then I set it equal to 1 and solved for A. I found A=3.854.

I think that was the right first step.

and I know that g(E) for n=1 is 2 possible states
    and n=2 has 8.

This is as far as I have gotten, as my professor hasn't really gone over how to use these distributions.

My guess is that I set

[itex] 1.06*10^{20} = n_{1}(E) dE + n_{2} (E) dE [itex]

after this I know I have to integrate, but I'm not sure how to set up the limits, among other things.

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2013 #2
    never mind I figured it out!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted