Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boltzmann Factor in QM Language

1. May 29, 2008 #1
    Hi,

I'm stuck on "the summit of statistical mechanics" (as Feynman calls it): the definition of the Boltzmann Factor.

The probability of measuring the system with energy E is P(E) = 1/Z * e^-E/kT.

I've taken courses in QM and can't understand why P(E) does not depend on the ket of the system |psi>.

From QM, I want to write down P(Ei) = <psi|Ei><Ei|psi>. So why doesn't 1/Z * e^-E/kT depend on |psi>? Is it a hidden assumption about the nature of the system that all |psi> in the Hilbert Space have P(Ei) equal?

Thanks in advance,
    Andrew

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2008 #2
    The issue lies in the difference between a pure state, which represents an ensemble of identical systems, and a mixed state, which represents an ensemble of systems in different states. So you might want to consider an ensemble of systems in different energy eigenstates, represented by a thermal density matrix. The diagonal components are then the Boltzmann factors.

4. May 30, 2008 #3
    What if I consider a system in a single energy eigenstate?

If the system is prepared in an energy eigenstate, say E1, then surely a measurement of E1 has probability 1 and not 1/Z * e^-E1/kT ?

Or can I not prepare a system that has a definite energy?

5. May 30, 2008 #4

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The "problem" is that you are at non-zero temperature (otrhwise the Boltzmann factor would be 1), meaning you are implicitly assuming that your system is actually interacting with a heat bath of some sort.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?