1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Book for Cherenkov radiation problem in Physics GRE

Tags:
  1. Aug 13, 2013 #1
    08 004.png
    This is GR9277, Problem 69.

I know nothing about this thing.
    At 'http://grephysics.net/ans/9277/69' [Broken] someone said it's about Cherenkov radiation.
    I think this is about interaction of charged particles with matter.
    In what course is this covered?

What book do you recommend for studying this?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2013 #2
    Any course on nuclear and particle physics should cover the Cerenkov radiation cone equation at some point I think. Even if you didn't know that, there's a straightforward analogy between Cerenkov radiation and sonic booms when objects surpass the speed of light or sound (respectively) in the medium through which they travel. Since the index of refraction is n=c/v...

4. Aug 13, 2013 #3
    I searched Introductory Nuclear Physics by Krane and introduction to elementary particles by Griffith but I couldn't find it.
    What book do you recommend for studying this?

5. Aug 13, 2013 #4
    None in particular, but the Schaum's outlines book "modern physics" (Gatreau) has a lot of PGRE-trivia-style modern physics problems like this (although more in-depth).

6. Aug 13, 2013 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I think your strategy of "one problem one book" is not the right one.

7. Aug 13, 2013 #6
    I don't have "one ~ book" strategy.

8. Aug 13, 2013 #7

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook