Book on Quantum Mechanics needed

In summary: I don't know if it's available online though.In summary, there are many different QM textbooks available, but Cohen-Tannoudji is not a good start. Some gentler books are available, like Griffiths.
QuantumReg
Hi All!

Does anyone know about some books on QM over the net?
I know there is Cohen Tannoudji's book, which is some kind of a bible in this topic, but for now I only want to feed my interest and to call up my knowladge in QM. I have been learning it at the university though, but that was a long time ago. So what I need is some kind of a hardcore tutorial. Does something like this even exist for free on the net, or do I have to buy the Cohen Tannoudji book instead?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
There are many QM textbooks available; Cohen-Tannoudji is not the book I'd start with, if I were you. There are some gentler books available, like Griffiths.

- Warren

Likes Jiman
Is it available on the net, or only in book stores?

i want one copy of Cohen-Tannoudji .who has it? i will be grateful!

I also want a copy of Cohen Tannoudji book, but yet I haven't found one :(

Last edited:
Amazon sells the 2 volume set for 181.00 dollars

Here are links to a couple of courses online...

http://electron6.phys.utk.edu/qm1/

http://electron6.phys.utk.edu/qm2/

http://zopyros.ccqc.uga.edu/~kellogg/docs/rltvt/rltvt.html

http://vergil.chemistry.gatech.edu/

I agree with chroot, Griffiths is a good start, although I have said many times before on these forums that I personally do not care for it. At this point in time, there really isn't a better text out there, some of the older texts could be consulted. The Schaums outline in Quantum Mechanics is really good and I am considering the purchase to have a qm book on my desk at work for quick consultation. Cohen-Tannoudji is not the text to start with at all, over the years I have found it to be more palatable but I know a whole bunch more now that I did in grad school. The more you know about qm, the more you will like it but I felt that I was not getting the eduaction I needed when using Cohen-Tannoudji. I would suggest Baym, Messiah, Schiff or Slater, not in that order. Schiff is the best out there by far if you can get it, I have 2 copies and they get used all the time. Slater is dated but readable, Messiah is a classic and Baym has been used in more than one school I looked at for grad school. Another choice is go with Yarivs' Quantum Electronics, it has a decenbt amount of qm and leads directly into the application of it. It was refreshing to re-read it a few years after grad school.

Last edited by a moderator:
you can get messiah from dover for about $20 or so. that's a pretty good choice if you can't afford the $180 for example.

i prefer shankar; his treatment is reasonably mathematical and very clear.

These two notes look quite good! Thanks Rach3!
Anyway, I prefer the Bra-Ket notation (I learned QM using this stuff)...
Does anyone know about some good lectures online which uses this?

The two notations are complementary. You could do wave mechanics with position eigenkets, but it would be an excess. It's extremely easy to translate: e.g., a wavefunction [tex]\psi(x)[/tex] is simply a state with representation

[tex]| \psi \rangle = \int dx \, \psi(x) | x \rangle[/tex]

in the position eigenket basis. (This means [tex]\hat{X}\left|x\rangle=x\left|x\rangle[/tex]). The eigenkets correspond to Dirac delta functionals as wavefunctions; the expansion above is the same as saying

[tex]\psi(x)=\int dy \, \psi(y) \delta (y-x)[/tex].

We don't gain anything by being more abstract!

(and translating the other way, [tex]\psi(x)=\langle x | \psi \rangle[/tex]).

I think Townsend's textbook starts off with a detailed introduction to ket notation, in the context of spin-1/2 particles. It's based on Sakurai's (graduate) textbook, so it's probably more thorough with Dirac notation than Griffiths.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior and interactions of subatomic particles, such as electrons and photons. It describes how these particles behave and interact with each other on a microscopic level.

2. Why do we need a book on quantum mechanics?

A book on quantum mechanics is needed to provide a comprehensive understanding of the principles and concepts of this complex field. It can also serve as a reference guide for researchers and students who want to delve deeper into the subject.

3. What topics should be covered in a book on quantum mechanics?

A book on quantum mechanics should cover topics such as wave-particle duality, uncertainty principle, quantum entanglement, quantum states and operators, and the Schrödinger equation. It should also include applications of quantum mechanics in various fields, such as chemistry, biology, and technology.

4. Can a book on quantum mechanics be understood by non-scientists?

While a basic understanding of physics and mathematics is necessary to grasp the concepts in quantum mechanics, there are books available that explain the principles in a more accessible way for non-scientists. These books often use everyday examples and analogies to explain complex concepts.

5. How can a book on quantum mechanics benefit scientists and researchers?

A book on quantum mechanics can provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles and equations that govern the behavior of particles on a microscopic level. It can also serve as a guide for researchers to further explore and apply these principles in their own work, leading to advancements in various fields such as technology and medicine.