Book recommendation for Graduate mechanics

In summary, the conversation involved a discussion about recommended books for refreshing or re-learning material for graduate classical mechanics. Goldstein and Taylor were mentioned as potential options, with some individuals preferring Taylor for its accessibility. The latest edition of Goldstein's book was also discussed, with some individuals recommending an earlier edition. Ultimately, Taylor was recommended for self-study, with some mentioning Thorton and Marion as popular options for those taking the class.
planethunter
Hello all, I have just finished up taking graduate E&M and will be enrolling in graduate classical mechanics next fall. It has been a while since I have done any kind of mechanics and would like to know which book do you recommend for refreshing/re-learning needed material for grad mechanics?? Is Goldstein basically the best book I can use?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Goldstein is a great book; I am not sure it's the best for a "refresher" though. Taylor is a bit more accessible.

fss said:
Goldstein is a great book; I am not sure it's the best for a "refresher" though. Taylor is a bit more accessible.

About Goldstein's one, I have read in Amazon that the 3rd version (latest) is a somehow watered down version of the 2nd one and with new notation. It seems that some chapter(s) have been deleted while some others have been added.
So is the 3rd edition "better" to get?
I'm also -very- interested in getting Goldstein book but I'm not sure what version.
Thanks anyone.

fss said:

Thanks for the response. I read some reviews on Amazon for Taylor and I think I am going to go with it for self-study.

Thanks!

Yeah, Taylor is awesome, much better than Thorton and Marion.

Since you're going to take the class, I would suggest a book one notch down from Goldstein. I like Keith Symon's book myself, but Jerry Marion's is certainly very popular.

1. What is the best book for learning graduate mechanics?

The best book for learning graduate mechanics is "Classical Mechanics" by Herbert Goldstein. It covers all the fundamental concepts and principles of mechanics in a clear and comprehensive manner.

2. Is there a specific book that is recommended by most professors?

Yes, "Introduction to Classical Mechanics" by David Morin is highly recommended by many professors for graduate mechanics courses. It is known for its engaging writing style and numerous examples and problems for practice.

3. Are there any books that focus specifically on quantum mechanics at the graduate level?

Yes, "An Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David Griffiths is a popular choice for graduate level quantum mechanics. It covers all the important topics in a rigorous yet accessible way.

4. Are there any books that include both classical and quantum mechanics at the graduate level?

Yes, "Quantum Mechanics: Non-Relativistic Theory" by L.D. Landau and E.M. Lifshitz is a classic textbook that covers both classical and quantum mechanics at the graduate level. It is known for its concise and mathematical approach.

5. Are there any online resources for graduate mechanics?

Yes, MIT OpenCourseWare offers a free online course on graduate level mechanics, complete with lecture notes, problem sets, and exams. There are also many video lectures and tutorials available on platforms like YouTube and Khan Academy.