Book with a good Introduction to Lagrangian Mechanics?

In summary, a beginner in undergraduate level seeking to learn Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Mechanics can refer to Goldstein's Classical Mechanics or Marion's Classical Dynamics. Online courses can also be used to supplement learning from a book. Other recommended books include those by Morin and Greiner, but caution should be taken when using Goldstein's book for non-holonomous constraints. Morin's free chapter on Hamiltonians is also highly recommended. For a basic Classical Mechanics book, it is suggested to start with Newton's Laws before moving onto Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Mechanics.
isher_mondal
Hi, I am an undergraduate student in the 3rd sem, we have Lagrangian Mechanics in our course but I am unable to follow it properly. Can you please suggest me a book that will introduce me to Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Mechanics and slowly teach me how to do problems. I am beginner, so please answer the question keeping this in mind

Likes Dale
Physics news on Phys.org
The gold standard here is Goldstein’s book on Classical Mechanics but I wouldn’t consider it to easy to self study from though I knew several students who did.

The second would be Marion’s book on Classical Dynamics but again it is for junior senior level undergrad physics.

Have you also considered online courses? They could be used to augment what you learn in the book.

some of our past threads shown below have some good references too. Here’s one such thread with several recommendations for books.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/good-book-for-lagrangian-and-hamiltonian-mechanics.885257/

Morin, definitely. He also wrote a free chapter online about Hamiltonians. Includes valuable insights that I haven’t seen in other textbooks, even Goldstein.

Highly recommended.

jedishrfu said:
The gold standard here is Goldstein’s book on Classical Mechanics but I wouldn’t consider it to easy to self study from though I knew several students who did.

The second would be Marion’s book on Classical Dynamics but again it is for junior senior level undergrad physics.

Have you also considered online courses? They could be used to augment what you learn in the book.

some of our past threads shown below have some good references too. Here’s one such thread with several recommendations for books.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/good-book-for-lagrangian-and-hamiltonian-mechanics.885257/

Thank you for answering. Well as far as the link to the thread you posted is concerned, the books suggested there were for a student in final year of bsc...and i am just a beginner here. So the link could not help me.
Regarding the online courses thing that you talked about, can you suggest me some links please?

How about the Book by Greiner? It comes out of the Frankfurt tradition, where theoretical physics was taught from the 1st semester on and analytical (Hamilton-Lagrange) mechanics thus was the subject of the theory lecture in the 2nd semester:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F758Q7M/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I'm a bit careful with respect to recommend Goldstein. Though it's a standard textbook for many years, there are some quibbles concerning non-holonomous constraints within the least-action-principle approach, leading to wrong equations. If you read this book, be careful when it comes to non-holonomous constraints. As far as I remember the equations Goldstein derives using d'Alembert's principle are the correct ones, but not those from the least-action principle (though both are equivalent as soon as you do the correct variations, which are those of the "virtual displacements" as in d'Alembert's principle).

isher_mondal said:
Thank you for answering. Well as far as the link to the thread you posted is concerned, the books suggested there were for a student in final year of bsc...and i am just a beginner here. So the link could not help me.
Regarding the online courses thing that you talked about, can you suggest me some links please?

Morin's chapter on Lagrangian mechanics is here:

http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~djmorin/chap6.pdf

I'm not too familiar with the theory curricular at non-German universities, but isn't "Analytical Mechanics" a subject in the first year of the undergraduate studies? AFAIK in the final year isn't there the theory subject not rather quantum mechanics and electrodynamics (including special relativity)?

isher_mondal said:
I am an undergrad 1st year student in Physics
isher_mondal said:
I am an undergraduate student in the 3rd sem,

Which is it?

isher_mondal said:
Can you suggest me a basic Classical Mechanics book of undergrad level that will help to learn about Newton's law,...
isher_mondal said:
an you please suggest me a book that will introduce me to Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Mechanics

Again, which is it?

1. What is Lagrangian Mechanics?

Lagrangian Mechanics is a mathematical framework used to describe the motion of particles and systems. It is based on the principle of least action, which states that the motion of a system is determined by minimizing the action (a measure of the system's energy) over a given time interval.

2. Why is it important to have a good introduction to Lagrangian Mechanics?

A good introduction to Lagrangian Mechanics is essential for understanding the fundamentals of this branch of physics. It provides a solid foundation for more advanced topics and allows for a deeper understanding of the mathematical concepts involved.

3. What are some key concepts in Lagrangian Mechanics?

Some key concepts in Lagrangian Mechanics include generalized coordinates, Lagrangian equations of motion, and the principle of virtual work. These concepts are used to describe the motion of particles and systems in a more general and elegant way compared to traditional Newtonian mechanics.

4. Are there any real-world applications of Lagrangian Mechanics?

Yes, Lagrangian Mechanics has many real-world applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. It is used to model the motion of complex systems, such as satellites orbiting the Earth, and to analyze the behavior of mechanical systems, such as a swinging pendulum.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong mathematical background to understand Lagrangian Mechanics?

While a strong mathematical background is helpful in understanding the intricacies of Lagrangian Mechanics, it is not necessary to have a deep understanding of advanced mathematics. A basic understanding of calculus and physics principles is sufficient for grasping the main concepts of Lagrangian Mechanics.