What's a thorough QM book besides Dirac?

In summary, the conversation discusses different resources for learning quantum mechanics, specifically in regards to the formalism. The original poster is looking for a book that presents the formalism as thoroughly as Dirac, but with a more natural notation. Some suggestions for books are Ballentine, Zettili, Isham, and Sakurai. Messiah is also mentioned as a classic text for understanding the mathematical aspects of quantum mechanics.
SadScholar
Hi, PF. I've got a question for you. Maybe this would be better posted in the science education or discussion sections, but it's directly related to QM. I'm just finishing up my undergrad coursework and I've taken QM using Griffiths. It's an okay book, but it does a bit of jumping around, and it's not fully rigorous mathematically as far as building up the formalism goes. I'm trying to latex my notes from the quarter in a way that's very thorough and I've been using Dirac to fill in all the gaps left by Griffiths. However, Dirac uses notation that I find strange and unnatural at times. Maybe some of it is just a touch outdated? (Bra-ket is not the problem. I'm totally fine with that.) Although very thorough, Dirac's writing can also be kind of clunky at times.

Q: I was wondering if anyone knows of another QM book that presents the formalism as thoroughly as Dirac, so I have a second reference to crosscheck and reinforce my understanding.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try Ballentine -- it's intended as a graduate text.
(Depends what you mean by "rigorous", of course. Ballentine is not rigorous by mathematician standards, but probably better that Griffiths, imho.)

P.S., I know what you mean about Dirac -- his writings contain a wealth of insights that can be difficult to obtain elsewhere, but it can also be a struggle to extract that wealth... :-(

Thanks for the tip! I actually suspected it might be a graduate level text I was looking for.

I know Ballentine is good. Zettili gets very good reviews, but I haven't read it. For people who want to understand the theory better, rather than learn how to calculate stuff, I always recommend "Lectures on quantum theory: Mathematical and structural foundations" by Chris Isham. To understand the math better, you should start with Axler's book on linear algebra. To understand it really well, you would have to study analysis, topology, integration theory and lots of functional analysis.

I suggest Sakurai, a graduate text that covers the formalism pretty thoroughly.

Thanks. I ended up grabbing Messiah at the library. It was actually really helpful.

FAQ: What's a thorough QM book besides Dirac?

1. What is QM?

QM stands for quantum mechanics, which is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior and interactions of particles on a microscopic scale.

2. Who is Dirac and why is his book important?

Paul Dirac was a famous physicist who made major contributions to the development of quantum mechanics. His book, "The Principles of Quantum Mechanics," is considered a classic and is often used as a reference for understanding the fundamentals of QM.

3. What makes a QM book thorough?

A thorough QM book should cover all the important concepts, theories, and applications of quantum mechanics in a clear and comprehensive manner. It should also include exercises and examples to help readers understand and apply the concepts.

4. Are there any other notable QM books besides Dirac's?

Yes, there are many other notable QM books such as "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths, "Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications" by Nouredine Zettili, and "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman.

5. What are some factors to consider when choosing a QM book?

Some factors to consider when choosing a QM book include the level of difficulty, the author's writing style, the topics covered, and the relevance to your specific interests or field of study. It's also helpful to read reviews and ask for recommendations from peers or experts in the field.