What is the Best Way to Learn Basic Electronics? Books or Arduino?

In summary: I am not sure whether this book is useful for a 12 year old. This book can easily overwhelm an undergraduate, let alone a middle schooler. I would recommend a basic physics...You can use:This book can easily overwhelm an undergraduate, let alone a middle schooler. I would recommend a basic physics book such as "Physics for the Evil Genius" by Dave Cutler or "Practical Electronics for Inventors" by Paul Scherz and Simon Monk.
ISamson
Gold Member
Hello.
Following my recent start in the interest in electronics, I have deducted that the best way to learn some basic electronics is to read a good book. I wish to learn the basic concepts of current, voltage, resistance, circuits and more advanced physical concepts behind the semiconductors and electronics. Any ideas?
I have been looking at the website bookdepository.com.
I am a 12 year old boy, but please do not underestimate me with my abilities...:smile::smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't done it, so I don't know the result, but you could have a look at our threads as e.g.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/free-physics-books.796223/

Also openstax seems to be a reasonable source, e.g. their physics books seem to be a good general foundation for free. Electronics is here
https://openstax.org/details/books/university-physics-volume-2
but I would start with volume 1. However, this is more the physical than the circuit part, so it possibly doesn't quite match your request. Maybe they have some real electronics, too, check it out.

This here also looks fun:
https://phet.colorado.edu/en/search?q=electronics

And here's another open library (SFA / CA) I've found:
https://archive.org/search.php?query=electronics

In any case I would first try to figure out what exactly you're interested in (electronic circuits, electrodynamics, modern applications, simulations, experiments), before you buy expensive books.

Likes ISamson
You can use:

20171105_212223.png

Attachments

• 20171105_212223.png
    20171105_212223.png
    18.3 KB · Views: 1,257
Likes ISamson, Buffu and berkeman
Yes, I'm a big fan of the Horowitz & Hill book. Read it cover-to-cover, and you will have a good foundation in most of the areas of beginning electronics.

@ISamson -- It's a bit expensive from Amazon (it is commonly used as a beginning textbook), but it is popular enough that your local public or school library may have a copy that you can check out or read at the library. :smile:

Likes ISamson
berkeman said:
Yes, I'm a big fan of the Horowitz & Hill book. Read it cover-to-cover, and you will have a good foundation in most of the areas of beginning electronics.

@ISamson -- It's a bit expensive from Amazon (it is commonly used as a beginning textbook), but it is popular enough that your local public or school library may have a copy that you can check out or read at the library. :smile:
Wrichik Basu said:
You can use:

View attachment 214399

A bit expensive...
Does it cover most basic electronic concepts from the basics? Resistance, current, voltage, circuits...
My school library does not have it.:frown:
Would it be 'helpful' for a middle schooler, me?
Thank you, seems a good book!

ISamson said:
A bit expensive...
Does it cover most basic electronic concepts from the basics? Resistance, current, voltage, circuits...
My school library does not have it.:frown:
Thank you, seems a good book!

You can buy the 2nd edition used for around $20: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0521370957/?tag=pfamazon01-20
If you look around, you might be able to find it even cheaper elsewhere.

Likes ISamson
Drakkith said:
You can buy the 2nd edition used for around $20: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0521370957/?tag=pfamazon01-20
If you look around, you might be able to find it even cheaper elsewhere.
ISamson said:
ISamson said:
Do you know?

ISamson said:
Do you know?

I do not. And please don't quote yourself just to ask a simple question. It's confusing and unnecessary. For example, now I cannot quote your line of questioning without having to go back up and search through what might be multiple posts on multiple pages (if this were a longer thread with longer posts) to find the exact place you asked a question just so that I can quote you.

@ISamson here is the contents:

20171106_101840.png

20171106_101904.png

20171106_101940.png

20171106_101955.png

20171106_102151.png

20171106_102210.png

20171106_102230.png

20171106_102246.png

20171106_102309.png

20171106_102325.png

20171106_102343.png

20171106_102359.png

These are just to help you understand what the book has.

Attachments

• 20171106_101840.png
    20171106_101840.png
    40 KB · Views: 1,090
  • 20171106_101904.png
    20171106_101904.png
    54.4 KB · Views: 1,080
  • 20171106_101925.png
    20171106_101925.png
    53.5 KB · Views: 462
  • 20171106_101940.png
    20171106_101940.png
    41.1 KB · Views: 1,060
  • 20171106_101955.png
    20171106_101955.png
    38.3 KB · Views: 1,071
  • 20171106_102151.png
    20171106_102151.png
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,067
  • 20171106_102210.png
    20171106_102210.png
    40.9 KB · Views: 1,060
  • 20171106_102230.png
    20171106_102230.png
    50.8 KB · Views: 1,038
  • 20171106_102246.png
    20171106_102246.png
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,058
  • 20171106_102309.png
    20171106_102309.png
    65.3 KB · Views: 1,068
  • 20171106_102325.png
    20171106_102325.png
    58.8 KB · Views: 1,062
  • 20171106_102343.png
    20171106_102343.png
    43.3 KB · Views: 1,050
  • 20171106_102359.png
    20171106_102359.png
    3 KB · Views: 1,060
Likes Buffu and ISamson
Drakkith said:
I do not. And please don't quote yourself just to ask a simple question. It's confusing and unnecessary. For example, now I cannot quote your line of questioning without having to go back up and search through what might be multiple posts on multiple pages (if this were a longer thread with longer posts) to find the exact place you asked a question just so that I can quote you.
Sorry.
Wrichik Basu said:
Thank you!

Wrichik Basu said:
You can use:

View attachment 214399

I am not sure whether this book is useful for a 12 year old. This book can easily overwhelm an undergraduate, let alone a middle schooler. I would recommend a basic physics book.

Buffu said:
I am not sure whether this book is useful for a 12 year old. This book can easily overwhelm an undergraduate, let alone a middle schooler. I would recommend a basic physics book.
I cannot quite guess at his knowledge till date. I think @ISamson can give a try, and then decide whether the book is becoming difficult for him or not.

If @ISamson faces difficulties in semiconductor devices basics, then you should learn that first. I think you should have a basic knowledge of circuits (which I think you have, like Kirchhoff’s laws), then you can try with this. But anyways, if you cannot understand or face difficulties, then you can of course store the book for later, as this is the best book for basic electronics and will help you later.

Likes ISamson
Wrichik Basu said:
If @ISamson faces difficulties in semiconductor devices basics, then you should learn that first. I think you should have a basic knowledge of circuits (which I think you have, like Kirchhoff’s laws), then you can try with this. But anyways, if you cannot understand or face difficulties, then you can of course store the book for later, as this is the best book for basic electronics and will help you later.

Does the book explain some of these laws?

ISamson said:
Does the book explain some of these laws?
Kirchhoff’s Laws? I think it only has a mention. Doesn't explain them in detail, as the book assumes the reader to know it.

Well, that would be a problem.
I was looking for a book which actually explains everything from the absolute basics. However Wikipedia is always a friend. Would that be fine?

ISamson said:
Well, that would be a problem.
I was looking for a book which actually explains everything from the absolute basics. However Wikipedia is always a friend. Would that be fine?
Not always. Wikipedia doesn't describe everythg in a friendly manner.

What you can start with, then, is that you get some high school books and start with the electronics section.

Wrichik Basu said:
Not always. Wikipedia doesn't describe everythg in a friendly manner.

What you can start with, then, is that you get some high school books and start with the electronics section.

I have tried.
The electronics section is very poor, I have looked. I have had a look at the table of contents you posted earlier - it seems ok and nice from the basics... Do you think?

ISamson said:
The electronics section is very poor

You need to learn the basic physics of how electronic components work first before learning electronics. How are you going to build circuits without know basic laws like Kirchhoff’s law.

If you try to skip basics then you probably get frustrated and lose the intersest in the subject.

I am not questioning your abilities but I think you need more than 33 pages of basics to read AoE.

Likes ISamson
Buffu said:
You need to learn the basic physics of how electronic components work first before learning electronics. How are you going to build circuits without know basic laws like Kirchhoff’s law.

If you try to skip basics then you probably get frustrated and lose the intersest in the subject.

I am not questioning your abilities but I think you need more than 33 pages of basics to read AoE.
Actually I thought he knew the basics.

Yes, as I've said before, @ISamson concentrate on the basics rather than any topic on electronics.

Likes ISamson
Ok, thank you very much, everyone for such insightful advice. I loved the books and will research further.
See you.

Horowitz & Hill is probably over your head.

I recommend a book with a hands-on approch: build things, burn things and learn the concepts on the way. As I posted in the other thread, I think "Make: electronics" by Charles Platt is a good book to start (especially for someone who links to makezine in his signature). It teaches the physical basics in a practical manner. If you understand things at this level, you can move on to more advanced texts.

Last edited:
Likes ISamson
ISamson said:
I have tried.
The electronics section is very poor, I have looked. I have had a look at the table of contents you posted earlier - it seems ok and nice from the basics... Do you think?

The electronic sections on those books will necessarily be poor because you have to get the fundamentals down first before you can really get into the electronics. Also, as some of the other posters suggested, I would recommend getting some basic circuit components so that you can take a hands on approach while you learn. It is not only fun but helpful to understanding and building intuition, and it's cheap!

Drakkith said:

FFR, if you click the up arrow at the top of the quote where it says "Poster said: [itex]\uparrow[/itex]" it will take you right to that post, eliminating the need to search the thread for where it was originally posted.

RedDelicious said:
FFR, if you click the up arrow at the top of the quote where it says "Poster said: ↑↑\uparrow" it will take you right to that post, eliminating the need to search the thread for where it was originally posted.

Indeed. But that doesn't eliminate the need to often search through several posts to find the quote and the context. The quotes also take up much more space than typing up the question and are broken up into multiple pieces instead of being in a single sentence/paragraph. Occasionally quoting yourself if the situation calls for it, such as emphasizing something you wrote previously or when it would be a good idea to bring attention back to it, is perfectly fine. But throwing multiple short quotes together just to save yourself a small amount of time and effort typing something up is not.

RedDelicious said:
Also, as some of the other posters suggested, I would recommend getting some basic circuit components so that you can take a hands on approach while you learn. It is not only fun but helpful to understanding and building intuition, and it's cheap!

I have an Arduino Starter Kit which includes an Arduino UNO and many components. This is not a problem.

ISamson said:
I have an Arduino Starter Kit which includes an Arduino UNO and many components. This is not a problem
That's is a greater problem, :confused:because I believe you don't even know Adruino programming, which is simply a vast field. You can start with basic circuit components like diodes, transistors, amplifiers and the like, on a breadboard.

Wrichik Basu said:
That's is a greater problem, :confused:because I believe you don't even know Adruino programming, which is simply a vast field. You can start with basic circuit components like diodes, transistors, amplifiers and the like, on a breadboard.
I do know Arduino programming, most of the basics.

Wrichik Basu said:
You can start with basic circuit components like diodes, transistors, amplifiers and the like, on a breadboard.
I don't agree. It is both easier and more fun to start with the Arduino directly and explore the electrical components as you need them.

Using personal computers, it is easy to control things but the things are abstract variables in the memory of the computer and the interfacing to the real world is hard. Using standard electronics, you work in the real world but controlling things is hard. The cool thing about microcontrollers like the Arduino is that they combine the easy parts of both spheres in order to enable you to control things in the real world right from the start.

Likes ISamson
Wrichik Basu said:
You can use:

View attachment 214399

Yes, Horowitz and Hill is quite simply the definitive book. It’s not cheap, but it will cover everything needed for an undergraduate and masters course, and will serve you usefully for many years as a professional. I bought my copy in 1994, and have had more than 20 years useful service from it:

Likes berkeman
kith said:
I don't agree. It is both easier and more fun to start with the Arduino directly and explore the electrical components as you need them.

Using personal computers, it is easy to control things but the things are abstract variables in the memory of the computer and the interfacing to the real world is hard. Using standard electronics, you work in the real world but controlling things is hard. The cool thing about microcontrollers like the Arduino is that they combine the easy parts of both spheres in order to enable you to control things in the real world right from the start.

I agree. Arduinos are a very good start.

Likes Tom.G

1. What is the difference between learning basic electronics through books and through Arduino?

Learning basic electronics through books typically involves a more theoretical approach, where concepts and principles are explained in detail. On the other hand, learning through Arduino involves a more hands-on approach, where you can immediately apply what you learn and see the results in action.

2. Which method is better for beginners?

It ultimately depends on the individual's learning style and preferences. Some may find it easier to understand through books, while others may prefer the hands-on approach of Arduino. It is recommended to try both methods and see which one works best for you.

3. Can I learn everything I need to know about basic electronics through Arduino?

No, Arduino is a great tool for learning and applying basic electronics concepts, but it is not a comprehensive source of knowledge. It is important to supplement your learning with books or other resources to gain a deeper understanding of the subject.

4. Are there any disadvantages to learning basic electronics through Arduino?

One potential disadvantage is that you may become too reliant on the pre-made code and functions provided by Arduino, which can limit your understanding of the underlying principles. It is important to also learn how to code from scratch and understand the logic behind it.

5. Can I use both methods simultaneously?

Absolutely! In fact, using both methods can be beneficial as you can reinforce your understanding of concepts through hands-on practice while also gaining a deeper understanding through books. It is recommended to use a combination of resources for a well-rounded learning experience.