1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Books on basic electronics

1. Nov 5, 2017 #1

ISamson

Gold Member

Hello.
    Following my recent start in the interest in electronics, I have deducted that the best way to learn some basic electronics is to read a good book. I wish to learn the basic concepts of current, voltage, resistance, circuits and more advanced physical concepts behind the semiconductors and electronics. Any ideas?
    I have been looking at the website bookdepository.com.
    I am a 12 year old boy, but please do not underestimate me with my abilities...:smile::smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

I haven't done it, so I don't know the result, but you could have a look at our threads as e.g.
    https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/free-physics-books.796223/

Also openstax seems to be a reasonable source, e.g. their physics books seem to be a good general foundation for free. Electronics is here
    https://openstax.org/details/books/university-physics-volume-2
    but I would start with volume 1. However, this is more the physical than the circuit part, so it possibly doesn't quite match your request. Maybe they have some real electronics, too, check it out.

This here also looks fun:
    https://phet.colorado.edu/en/search?q=electronics

And here's another open library (SFA / CA) I've found:
    https://archive.org/search.php?query=electronics

In any case I would first try to figure out what exactly you're interested in (electronic circuits, electrodynamics, modern applications, simulations, experiments), before you buy expensive books.

4. Nov 5, 2017 #3
    You can use:

20171105_212223.png

5. Nov 5, 2017 #4

berkeman

Yes, I'm a big fan of the Horowitz & Hill book. Read it cover-to-cover, and you will have a good foundation in most of the areas of beginning electronics.

@ISamson -- It's a bit expensive from Amazon (it is commonly used as a beginning textbook), but it is popular enough that your local public or school library may have a copy that you can check out or read at the library. :smile:

6. Nov 5, 2017 #5

ISamson

Gold Member

A bit expensive...
    Does it cover most basic electronic concepts from the basics? Resistance, current, voltage, circuits...
    My school library does not have it.:frown:
    Would it be 'helpful' for a middle schooler, me?
    Thank you, seems a good book!

7. Nov 5, 2017 #6

Drakkith

8. Nov 5, 2017 #7

ISamson

Gold Member

9. Nov 5, 2017 #8

ISamson

Gold Member

10. Nov 5, 2017 #9

Drakkith

I do not. And please don't quote yourself just to ask a simple question. It's confusing and unnecessary. For example, now I cannot quote your line of questioning without having to go back up and search through what might be multiple posts on multiple pages (if this were a longer thread with longer posts) to find the exact place you asked a question just so that I can quote you.

11. Nov 5, 2017 #10
    @ISamson here is the contents:

20171106_101840.png

20171106_101904.png

20171106_101940.png

20171106_101955.png

20171106_102151.png

20171106_102210.png

20171106_102230.png

20171106_102246.png

20171106_102309.png

20171106_102325.png

20171106_102343.png

20171106_102359.png

These are just to help you understand what the book has.

Attached Files:

12. Nov 6, 2017 #11

ISamson

Gold Member

Sorry.
    Thank you!

13. Nov 6, 2017 #12
    I am not sure whether this book is useful for a 12 year old. This book can easily overwhelm an undergraduate, let alone a middle schooler. I would recommend a basic physics book.

14. Nov 6, 2017 #13
    I cannot quite guess at his knowledge till date. I think @ISamson can give a try, and then decide whether the book is becoming difficult for him or not.

If @ISamson faces difficulties in semiconductor devices basics, then you should learn that first. I think you should have a basic knowledge of circuits (which I think you have, like Kirchhoff’s laws), then you can try with this. But anyways, if you cannot understand or face difficulties, then you can of course store the book for later, as this is the best book for basic electronics and will help you later.

15. Nov 6, 2017 #14

ISamson

Gold Member

Does the book explain some of these laws?

16. Nov 6, 2017 #15
    Kirchhoff’s Laws? I think it only has a mention. Doesn't explain them in detail, as the book assumes the reader to know it.

17. Nov 6, 2017 #16

ISamson

Gold Member

Well, that would be a problem.
    I was looking for a book which actually explains everything from the absolute basics. However Wikipedia is always a friend. Would that be fine?

18. Nov 6, 2017 #17
    Not always. Wikipedia doesn't describe everythg in a friendly manner.

What you can start with, then, is that you get some high school books and start with the electronics section.

19. Nov 6, 2017 #18

ISamson

Gold Member

I have tried.
    The electronics section is very poor, I have looked. I have had a look at the table of contents you posted earlier - it seems ok and nice from the basics... Do you think?

20. Nov 7, 2017 #19
    You need to learn the basic physics of how electronic components work first before learning electronics. How are you going to build circuits without know basic laws like Kirchhoff’s law.

If you try to skip basics then you probably get frustrated and lose the intersest in the subject.

I am not questioning your abilities but I think you need more than 33 pages of basics to read AoE.

21. Nov 7, 2017 #20
    Actually I thought he knew the basics.

Yes, as I've said before, @ISamson concentrate on the basics rather than any topic on electronics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted