1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Books on Covariant formulation of Electrodynamics

1. Feb 11, 2017 #1
    Hello!
    I am an undergraduate currently enrolled in a course on theoretical physics. One big part of the course is on the classical field theory of electromagnetism(on its covariant formulation using Lagrangians mostly).
    So, I would like to ask which are some good books on the subject.
    Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2017 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

@vanhees71 do you have some good recommendations that you use for your classes?

4. Feb 12, 2017 #3
    Please note that I tried Greiner's EM book which contains a chapter on the covariant approach but we are using a lot more the field theory approach with Lagrangians and four vectors..

5. Feb 14, 2017 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

There is, of course, Landau&Lifshitz vol. II (Classical Field Theory), containing classical electrodynamics and general relativity. This volume concentrates on "microscopic electrodynamics". Electrodynamics in matter is treated in vol. VIII, which is also a masterpiece.

A even more modern approach, using the action principle for field theories, the idea of local gauge symmetries, etc. is vol. II of Scheck's theory-book series:

F. Scheck, Classical Field Theory, Springer-Verlag 2012

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted