Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Books on Covariant formulation of Electrodynamics

1. Feb 11, 2017 #1
    Hello!
    I am an undergraduate currently enrolled in a course on theoretical physics. One big part of the course is on the classical field theory of electromagnetism(on its covariant formulation using Lagrangians mostly).
    So, I would like to ask which are some good books on the subject.
    Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2017 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

@vanhees71 do you have some good recommendations that you use for your classes?

4. Feb 12, 2017 #3
    Please note that I tried Greiner's EM book which contains a chapter on the covariant approach but we are using a lot more the field theory approach with Lagrangians and four vectors..

5. Feb 14, 2017 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

There is, of course, Landau&Lifshitz vol. II (Classical Field Theory), containing classical electrodynamics and general relativity. This volume concentrates on "microscopic electrodynamics". Electrodynamics in matter is treated in vol. VIII, which is also a masterpiece.

A even more modern approach, using the action principle for field theories, the idea of local gauge symmetries, etc. is vol. II of Scheck's theory-book series:

F. Scheck, Classical Field Theory, Springer-Verlag 2012

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted