Books to Prepare for Differential Geometry

In summary, the recommended prerequisites for Spivak's Differential Geometry series are Real Analysis and familiarity with multivariable calculus. It is also helpful to have a strong understanding of metric spaces and topology. While abstract algebra and differential topology are not necessary, they can make the material easier to grasp. Rudin's book on real analysis can be used as a reference, but it is not a comprehensive source for the necessary topics. Other recommended books for multivariable calculus include Stewart and Calculus on Manifolds by Spivak. It is important to have a solid understanding of these concepts before delving into rigorous differential geometry.
Site
What books should I read as prerequisites for Spivak's Differential Geometry Series? Trying to pick up Diff Geom for graduate physics but right now it is pretty daunting. I've got single variable calculus and linear algebra under my belt. Just looking for bare minimum requirements here to jump into rigorous differential geometry.

Physics news on Phys.org
Real Analysis is a prerequisite for most differential geometry courses. How comfortable are you with mathematical proofs?

I am pretty comfortable with proofs and prefer rigor to hand-waving. The university course in linear algebra that I took was proof-based and used Halmos. So I should probably work through Rudin for real analysis background, right?

Would I need anything else after Rudin? I've heard that the first volume in Spivak's Differential Geometry series covers calculus on manifolds, so would it be necessary to first read his smaller book Calculus on Manifolds?

Working through calculus on manifolds is recommended, but I don't think it's necessary. You do need to be very familiar with multi-variable calculus.

Further, you need to be familiar with things like metric spaces. Familiarity with topology is even better.

I once checked that small book by Spivak but seemed too trivial after having had analysis courses. So I ended up not reading it. I would say that if you have a comprehensible understanding of analysis, you should be able to read Spivak's diff. geom. straight ahead. However, it's always good to *really* master the basics before going into that kind of stuff, so Rudin might be a good idea, yes.

I would comment about Spivak's differential geometry; but you seem to consider only Spivak from your OP. I personally find Spivak too verbose (I ended up not learning diff. geom. from him), and preferred Subrovin/Fomenko/Novikov's modern geometry for a physics' approach. Otherwise Lee's books (Intro to topological manifolds/smooth manifolds) or Guillemin & Pollacks' are as good.

micromass, would the topology in Rudin be sufficient? I was scared after reading the first Amazon review (of Spivak's DG 1 text) which listed differential topology as well as abstract algebra as prerequisites. Also, could you recommend a book for multivariable calculus? Do you mean something like Stewart?

From what you and Redsummers are saying it sounds like I will be fine with just single variable analysis and familiarity with multivariable calculus. This comes as music to my ears.

The reason I'm so set on Spivak's Differential Geometry books is that my first physics professor told me to that they are true gems and should be digested thoroughly.

Site said:
micromass, would the topology in Rudin be sufficient? I was scared after reading the first Amazon review (of Spivak's DG 1 text) which listed differential topology as well as abstract algebra as prerequisites. Also, could you recommend a book for multivariable calculus? Do you mean something like Stewart?

Calculus on manifolds is actually a multivariable calc text. But it's a little compact.
Stewart would of course also be good, but it's not really rigorous.

As for the prerequisities of diff topology and abstract algebra. It's certainly not needed. But as with everything in math: the more math you're familiar with, the easier it will be for you. So if you know abstract algebra, then it will likely be a bit easier. But don't learn abstract algebra just to read Spivak, that's overkill.

From what you and Redsummers are saying it sounds like I will be fine with just single variable analysis and familiarity with multivariable calculus. This comes as music to my ears.

Yeah, but you'll need more than familiarity with multivariable calculus. You need to know it inside out. Differential geometry is actually a generalization of multivariable calculus to more abstract spaces (=manifolds). So you must know the former really, really well.

As for analysis: you need to be acquainted with metric spaces and the topology of metric spaces. If you insist on using Rudin (which I think is a horrible book, but other people think it's a gem), you will need to know chapter 2 really well. The other chapters are things you will probably remember from calculus, but it's good to go through to them anyway. Chapter 9-11 are horrible in Rudin, so I would suggest another book for that :biggrin:

1. What is the purpose of studying differential geometry?

Differential geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of curves and surfaces in multidimensional spaces. It has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. By understanding the fundamental concepts of differential geometry, one can better understand the properties and behaviors of objects in our physical world.

2. What are some good books to prepare for differential geometry?

Some highly recommended books for preparing for differential geometry include "Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces" by Manfredo do Carmo, "Riemannian Geometry" by Peter Petersen, and "Introduction to Smooth Manifolds" by John M. Lee. These books cover the necessary topics in differential geometry and provide clear explanations and examples to aid in understanding.

3. What are the prerequisites for studying differential geometry?

A strong understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and multivariate calculus is necessary for studying differential geometry. Familiarity with vector calculus and basic topology is also helpful. Additionally, some knowledge of differential equations and abstract algebra can be beneficial.

4. Are there any online resources for studying differential geometry?

Yes, there are many online resources available for studying differential geometry. Some popular ones include MIT OpenCourseWare, Khan Academy, and Coursera. These platforms offer free or paid courses and lectures on various topics in differential geometry.

5. How can I apply the concepts learned in differential geometry to real-world problems?

Differential geometry has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, computer graphics, and even economics. By understanding the properties of curves and surfaces in multidimensional spaces, one can solve problems related to motion, optimization, and geometry in these fields. Additionally, the geometric intuition gained from studying differential geometry can be useful in problem-solving and critical thinking in general.