Books You Wish Were Available Back in the Day

• Thread starter George Jones
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, the conversation discusses the desire for more recent books, specifically Arfken and Weber's Mathematical Physics, to have been available during the individual's time as an undergrad student, grad student, or postdoc. They mention currently having the CRC Handbook of Mathematical Stuff and the Schaum's Outlines Mathematical Handbook, with a preference for the latter due to its visual aids and easier portability.
George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Which more recent books do you wish had been available when you were an undergrad student, grad student, or postdoc?

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
Arfken and Weber: Mathematical Physics or something similar.

The closest book I had to it was the CRC Handbook of Mathematical Stuff and the Schaum's Outlines Mathematical Handbook

jedishrfu said:
CRC Handbook of Mathematical Stuff
I still have CRC (Chemical Rubber Co.) Standard Mathematical Tables, 15th Ed. I've had it since "back in the day."

Likes jedishrfu
My preference was the Schaum's as it had more pictures and a detailed discussion on coordinate systems, ones I'd never heard before. Also it was a bit lighter and easier to carry to class.

1. What is the concept behind "Books You Wish Were Available Back in the Day"?

The concept behind "Books You Wish Were Available Back in the Day" is to imagine and discuss books that could have been written in the past but were not. These books could have had a significant impact on history or could have been influential in shaping our society.

2. Can you give an example of a book that could have been written in the past but was not?

One example of a book that could have been written in the past but was not is a fictional account of a woman's journey during the suffrage movement in the United States. This book could have shed light on the struggles and triumphs of women fighting for their right to vote in the early 1900s.

3. Why do you think these books were not written in the past?

There could be various reasons why these books were not written in the past. Some possible reasons could include societal constraints, lack of resources or opportunities for certain groups of people, or simply because the author did not exist at that time.

4. How can imagining these books help us understand history better?

Imagining these books can help us understand history better by allowing us to explore alternative perspectives and narratives that were not previously considered. It can also prompt us to question the dominant narratives and fill in the gaps in our understanding of history.

5. Do you think these books could still be written and published today?

Absolutely! Many of the topics and themes that could have been explored in these books are still relevant and important today. With the advancements in technology and the increasing diversity in the publishing industry, there is a greater opportunity for these books to be written and published now.