Boston Molasses Disaster: Eyewitness Accounts & Impact

• Thread starter jan k
  • Start date
In summary, eyewitnesses of the Boston Molasses disaster reported a preceding rush of wind that picked up and hurled people and objects before engulfing them in molasses. This rush of air was likely caused by gases built up during the fermentation process and not by the motion of the molasses itself. Unlike a tsunami, which travels imperceptibly through deep water before building into a large wave in shallow water, the Boston Molasses disaster involved a sudden and massive release of millions of gallons of molasses, resulting in fatalities and injuries.
jan k
Hello,
I have a question about the Boston Molasses disaster.

Eyewitnesses of this molasses flood speak of a preceding rush of wind that picked everything and everyone up (before engulfing them in molasses).

Wikipedia:

The Boston Globe reported that people "were picked up by a rush of air and hurled many feet." Others had debris hurled at them from the rush of sweet-smelling air. A truck was picked up and hurled into Boston Harbor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Molasses_Disaster

Yet, when I look at the horrible footage from the 2004 tsunami, a person in swimming trunks is just stoically awaiting the wave, standing straight before it hits him.My questions being:

- Would flowing molasses actually produce a powerful rush of air at 50km/h?

- If so, why doesn’t water do this?Or was this rush of air probably caused by the ‘explosion’ of the ruptured tank? (Apparently, the rivets shot out, sounding like machine-gun fire.)Greetings and thanks

PS:
other sources
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/molasses-flood-physics-science/?page=2
http://edp.org/molyank.htm (by John Mason Reprinted from Yankee Magazine (Dublin, New Hampshire: January 1965), pages 52-53 and 109-111.)

The disaster took place in 1919 and molasses disasters are fairly scarce, so I guess there's not much scientific evidence to go on.

(Edited on request.)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jan k said:
Hello,
I have a question about the Boston Molasses disaster.

Eyewitnesses of this molasses flood speak of a preceding rush of wind that picked everything and everyone up (before engulfing them in molasses).

Wikipedia:

The Boston Globe reported that people "were picked up by a rush of air and hurled many feet." Others had debris hurled at them from the rush of sweet-smelling air. A truck was picked up and hurled into Boston Harbor.
Yet, when I look at the horrible footage from the 2004 tsunami, a person in swimming trunks is just stoically awaiting the wave, standing straight before it hits him.My questions being:

- Would flowing molasses make actually produce a powerful rush of air at 50km/h?

- If so, why doesn’t water do this?Or was this rush of air probably caused by the ‘explosion’ of the ruptured tank? (Apparently, the rivets shot out, sounding like machine-gun fire.)Greetings and thanks

Welcome to the PF.

Can you provide a link to the wikipedia article, and hopefully to some more mainstream scientific sources? Thanks.

Sounds a bit dubious, but the rush of air was probably not due to the motion of the molasses, but due to gases which had built up during the fermentation processes. This could conceivable produce very strong "winds", aka a small explosion.

The molasses tank in the Boston disaster was approximately 50 feet tall and 90 feet in diameter. That's a tank which is approximately as tall as a 5-story building, collapsing all at once and releasing its contents.

A tsunami, before it reaches shore, travels thru deep water almost imperceptibly. It's only when the disturbance reaches shallow water that large waves can develop. The 2004 tsunami, in some places, produced more of a surge of water which was a few feet deep on shore, rather than a large wave. Nevertheless, this surge of water was enough to collect debris after it came ashore and propel this debris ahead of it, causing damage to structures and injuring people caught in its path. The gentleman in your video was lucky; there were thousands who were not so fortunate.

Thank you.

Off course:
SteamKing said:
The gentleman in your video was lucky; there were thousands who were not so fortunate.

No, he died. But he lived on his feet until the wave took him.

So...I guess, in the case of an 'explosion', the rush of sweet air wouldn't have rounded the corner along with the flowing molasses.

jan k said:
Thank you.

Off course:No, he died. But he lived on his feet until the wave took him.

So...I guess, in the case of an 'explosion', the rush of sweet air wouldn't have rounded the corner along with the flowing molasses.

Whether there was a rush of air at Boston in 1919 is pretty much irrelevant to that disaster. There was still reportedly millions of gallons of molasses discharged in a short amount of time which killed or maimed its victims. Being choked on molasses is not a pretty end for anyone.

It's relevant to me.
Thanks for the info.

Related to Boston Molasses Disaster: Eyewitness Accounts & Impact

What caused the Boston Molasses Disaster?

The Boston Molasses Disaster, also known as the Great Molasses Flood, was caused by the failure of a large molasses storage tank on January 15, 1919. The tank, which was owned by the Purity Distilling Company, was filled with over 2 million gallons of molasses. The combination of unseasonably warm weather and a faulty tank design led to an increase in pressure that caused the tank to burst, releasing a wave of molasses that traveled at an estimated 35 miles per hour.

How many people were killed in the Boston Molasses Disaster?

The exact number of fatalities in the Boston Molasses Disaster is still disputed, but it is estimated that 21 people were killed and over 150 were injured. The majority of the fatalities were caused by blunt force trauma from being swept away by the wave of molasses or being crushed by debris.

What impact did the Boston Molasses Disaster have on the surrounding area?

The Boston Molasses Disaster had a significant impact on the surrounding area in terms of physical damage and economic impact. The wave of molasses destroyed buildings, streets, and even the elevated railway tracks. The cleanup process took weeks and the cost was equivalent to over $100 million in today's currency. The disaster also led to stricter building and safety regulations to prevent similar incidents from occurring in the future.

Were there any eyewitness accounts of the Boston Molasses Disaster?

Yes, there were many eyewitness accounts of the Boston Molasses Disaster. In fact, the disaster was widely covered by newspapers and media outlets at the time. Some of the most well-known eyewitness accounts include those of Stephen Puleo, who wrote a book about the disaster, and Bridget Clougherty, who was a 12-year-old girl at the time and witnessed the disaster from her home.

Has there been any lasting impact or legacy of the Boston Molasses Disaster?

The Boston Molasses Disaster has left a lasting impact on the city and its residents. Every year on the anniversary of the disaster, a memorial is held to honor the victims. The disaster also led to important changes in building and safety regulations and highlighted the importance of proper engineering and maintenance to prevent similar tragedies. It remains one of the most infamous and unusual disasters in American history.

Back