1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bounded Monotonic Sequence Theorem

1. Jan 26, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use the Bounded Monotonic Sequence Theorem to prove that the sequence:

[tex] \{a_{i} \} = \Big\{ i - \sqrt{i^{2}+1} \Big\} [/tex]

Is convergent.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I've shown that it has an upper bound and is monotonic increasing, however it is to my understanding that for me to use this theorem the sequence must be bounded (and of course have monotonicity) - i.e. have an upper and lower bound. I can't seem to show that this has a lower bound; even graphically, it just blows off to negative infinity. How should I proceed?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2016 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Why do you think this? You didn't say anything about the possible values of i, but I assume they are positive integers {1, 2, 3, ...}.

Consider ##f(x) = x - \sqrt{x^2 + 1}##. All of the values of this function are negative, since ##x < \sqrt{x^2 + 1}## for all x > 0. As x gets larger, the difference is smaller, and approaches zero. The largest difference comes when x is smallest (i.e., closest to zero).

4. Jan 26, 2016 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If ##f(i) = i -\sqrt{i^2+1}## is monotonically increasing, then ##f(1) < f(2) < f(3) < \cdot##, so if ##f(1)## is a finite number, it is a lower bound!

5. Jan 26, 2016 #4

Thank you, I think I got it now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted