Boundedness: Prove that M'-m' =< M-m

• Thread starter Runty_Grunty
  • Start date
In summary: So we have proven that M' - m' \le M - m. In summary, we assume that f is a bounded and integrable function on [a,b], and if M and m are the least upper and greatest lower bounds of f over [a,b], then we can prove that M'-m'\leq M-m by considering the mixed case where there are x, y \in X such that f(x) < 0 and f(y) > 0. This is because we have 0 \le M' \le \max(M, |m|) which gives us M'-m' \le \max(M, |m|) \le M - m. Therefore,
Runty_Grunty

Homework Statement

Suppose that [tex]f(x)[/tex] is a bounded function on [tex][a,b][/tex]. If [tex]M, M'[/tex] denote the least upper bounds and [tex]m, m'[/tex] denote the greatest lower bounds of [tex]f, |f|[/tex] respectively, prove that [tex]M'-m'\leq M-m[/tex].

2. The attempt at a solution
(these are the only things I have; most are properties found online)
For this, we assume that [tex]f[/tex] is integrable.
If [tex]f[/tex] is a bounded and integrable function on [tex][a,b][/tex], and if [tex]M[/tex] and [tex]m[/tex] are the least upper and greatest lower bounds of [tex]f[/tex] over [tex][a,b][/tex], then
[tex]m(b-a)\leq \int_a^b f(x)dx\leq M(b-a)[/tex] if [tex]a\leq b[/tex], and
[tex]m(b-a)\geq \int_a^b f(x)dx\geq M(b-a)[/tex] if [tex]b\leq a[/tex].
Also, since [tex]f[/tex] is both a bounded and integrable function on [tex][a,b][/tex], then [tex]|f|[/tex] is also bounded and integrable over [tex][a,b][/tex].

I haven't been able to determine how to obtain the least upper and greatest lower bounds of [tex]|f|[/tex], due to how complicated the very idea is.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the function continuous?

Note that the case that [tex]f[/tex] is negative ([tex]\le 0[/tex]) is trivial, the same when [tex]f[/tex] is positive ([tex]\ge 0[/tex]). This leaves the case that there are positive and negative function values. This might give you a lot of help.

Outlined said:
Is the function continuous?

Note that the case that [tex]f[/tex] is negative ([tex]\le 0[/tex]) is trivial, the same when [tex]f[/tex] is positive ([tex]\ge 0[/tex]). This leaves the case that there are positive and negative function values. This might give you a lot of help.

I listed the question word-for-word in the opening post, so it doesn't say anything about continuity. I guess I could assume it is continuous, but I don't know how relevant that would be.

I'm also not sure how that bit on "positive and negative function values" is supposed to be implemented (or I'm not interpreting it correctly). Could you please give a little more detail as to what you mean?

Our class is covering higher-level integration right now, and I always get tripped up on complicated proofs and the like. Then again, I was given very bad course advice...

[tex]f : X \longrightarrow \textbf{R}[/tex]it is about the mixed case where there are [tex]x, y \in X[/tex] such that [tex]f(x) < 0[/tex] and [tex]f(y) > 0[/tex]. Therefore [tex]M > 0[/tex] and [tex]m < 0[/tex]. We have [tex]0 \le M' \le \max(M, |m|)[/tex]. Combined with [tex]m < 0[/tex] and [tex]m' \ge 0 [/tex] this gives

[tex] M'- m' \le \max(M, |m|) \le M - m[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What does boundedness mean?

Boundedness refers to the property of a function or set to have a finite or limited range of values. In other words, a bounded function or set has a maximum and minimum value.

2. How is boundedness related to the equation M'-m' =< M-m?

The equation M'-m' =< M-m is used to prove the boundedness of a function or set. It states that the difference between the maximum and minimum values of the function or set is less than or equal to the difference between the upper and lower bounds of the function or set.

3. What is the significance of proving boundedness?

Proving boundedness is important in mathematics and science because it allows us to determine the limitations and behavior of a function or set. It also helps us to understand the range of values that a function or set can take and make predictions based on that information.

4. How do you prove that M'-m' =< M-m?

To prove that M'-m' =< M-m, you need to show that the difference between the maximum and minimum values of the function or set is less than or equal to the difference between the upper and lower bounds of the function or set. This can be done using mathematical techniques such as the Mean Value Theorem or the Intermediate Value Theorem.

5. Can a function or set be unbounded?

Yes, a function or set can be unbounded, which means that it does not have a finite range of values. This can occur when the function or set has no maximum or minimum value, or when the maximum or minimum value is infinite.