Box Pushed Up an Incline Ramp: Basic Newton's Law Questions

In summary: If the normal force were not present, the block would accelerate down the incline.In summary, a 90 kg box is being pushed up a 28° ramp with a constant speed. The magnitude of the applied force is 414N when the ramp is frictionless and 572N when the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.18. To determine the applied force, the equations F=mg, FN=mg, and μ=Fk/FN are used, with the correct drawing of FN being essential for accurate calculations.
Kathy W

Homework Statement

A 90 kg box is pushed by a horizontal force F at constant speed up a ramp inclined at 28°, as shown. Determine the magnitude of the applied force.
  1. when the ramp is frictionless.
  2. when the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.18
upload_2015-7-22_11-43-55.png

Homework Equations

F=mg
FN=mg
μ= Fk/FN

The Attempt at a Solution

a) mg=(90)((.8)= 882N=Fg

sin28=Fgx/882N
(0.469)(882)= Fgx
414N=Fgx= magnitude of applied force

b) FN=mg= 882N
μ=Fk/FN
0.18=Fk/882
(882)(0.18)= Fk
Fk= 158.76

** This is where I am unsure of my approach**

Fapplied= Fgx+Fk
=414N+158.76 N
= 572N

That seems like too much to me, but I'm not quite sure. Does it look like I have that equation correct ,or am I supposed to subtract the value I found for Fk from FgX, or something totally different. Any help would be very much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Kathy W said:
FN=mg= 882N
μ=Fk/FN
0.18=Fk/882
(882)(0.18)= Fk
Fk= 158.76

You have not drawn FN correctly . Redraw correctly and try again .

Hope this helps .

Qwertywerty said:
You have not drawn FN correctly . Redraw correctly and try again .

Hope this helps .
oh okay, is it opposing the Fy aspect instead of Fg? I was confused when I was drawing that! Thank you for your response

Kathy W said:
oh okay, is it opposing the Fy aspect instead of Fg? I was confused when I was drawing that! Thank you for your response
Yes. The normal force opposes that component of gravity which would cause acceleration perpendicular to the surface ( the incline plane).

1. What is the relationship between the force applied and the acceleration of the box pushed up an incline ramp?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. Therefore, the greater the force applied on the box, the greater its acceleration will be.

2. How does the angle of the incline ramp affect the force required to push the box up?

The steeper the incline ramp, the greater the force required to push the box up. This is because the component of the weight of the box acting against the incline ramp increases as the angle of the ramp increases. This means that a greater force must be applied to overcome this component and push the box upwards.

3. Can the box remain at rest on the incline ramp?

No, the box cannot remain at rest on the incline ramp unless the force of friction acting against the box is equal to the component of its weight acting down the ramp. Otherwise, the box will either slide down the ramp or accelerate up the ramp.

4. How does the mass of the box affect its acceleration up the incline ramp?

The mass of the box has an inverse relationship with its acceleration up the incline ramp. This means that as the mass of the box increases, its acceleration will decrease if the force applied remains constant. This is because a heavier box requires more force to accelerate compared to a lighter box.

5. What is the direction of the force of friction acting on the box as it is pushed up the incline ramp?

The force of friction acts in the opposite direction to the motion of the box, therefore it acts down the incline ramp when the box is being pushed up. This force is necessary to prevent the box from sliding down the incline ramp due to gravity.