1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Brachistochrone Problem/Calculus of Variations

1. Oct 11, 2006 #1
    I'm working on the Brachistochrone probem and I've gotten to the equation:

(dy/dx)^2 = (c^2*y)/(1-c^2*y)

the 'hint' given is to use y = sin^2(theta)/c^2 to solve the integral. I haven't done any math for 5 months and i haven't been in a pure math class for over a year, so I'm drawing a complete blank on how to solve this. If someone could point me in the right direction that would help.

Also, I'm having trouble approaching a problem in which I'm asked to find the geodesics on a sphere of unit radius using calculus of variations. I'm asked to express phi as a function of theta but that isn't making sense to me...again, some direction would help me get on track.
    (^ is supposed to denote a power)

Thanks

Last edited: Oct 11, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2006 #2
    If you make the substitution
    [tex]y = \sin^2(\theta)/c^2[/tex]
    then you also need to substitute for [itex]dy[/itex] the value
    [tex]dy = 2/c^2 \sin(\theta) \cos(\theta) d\theta[/tex].
    Grouping [itex]\theta[/itex] terms and x terms on opposite sides of the equation should give you something you can integrate.

Look familiar? Think back to your integral calculus class :)

For the geodesics on a sphere you need to consider the differential line element in spherical coordinates
    [tex]ds^2 = dr^2 + r^2 d\theta^2 + r^2\sin^2(\theta) d\phi^2[/tex]
    and remember that for a geodesic the quantity you are trying to minimize is
    [tex]\int ds[/tex].

On the surface of a sphere [itex]r[/itex] is constant, so that simplifies things a bit, and you can then factor out the [itex]d\theta^2[/itex] and follow the standard calculus of variations method using the Euler-Lagrange equation.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?