Optimal Mounting Arrangement for Reinforcement Brackets in Structural Beams?

• Thread starter gmartine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bracket
In summary, the conversation is discussing the preferred arrangement of reinforcement brackets for a 12 x 2" beam with an 8" diameter hole. The article suggests mounting the flanges over and under the beam for maximum stiffness, but the pictures on the Metwood website show a different orientation. The group discusses the reasons for the different orientations, including access and potential unevenness on the top surface of the beam. The consensus is that it may not matter much which orientation is used, as the purpose of the flange is for vertical stiffness. The possibility of fitting two braces on each side of the beam is also mentioned.
gmartine
Thanks for taking interest but I studied basic statics about three decades ago and I wasn't quite sure what the definitive answer was...can anybody tell me what the preferred arrangement of this reinforcement bracket should be?
Should it be as shown in the picture to achieve maximum stiffness or with the flanges hooked over and under the joist as the article below suggests. I thought initially the increased area moment of inertia by having the flanges mounted away from the beam would have made a difference? Assume the beam is a 12 x 2" and the hole is 8" diameter, bracketry is standard 14 gauge BMS, thanks again.

metwood.png

https://www.proremodeler.com/innovative-products-metwood-building-solutions-joist-reinforcements

Attachments

• metwood.png
    metwood.png
    87.3 KB · Views: 486
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

It looks wrong when shown in isolation like that, but all of the pics at the Metwood website seem to show that orientation. I'm guessing it's because you don't always have access to the tops of the joists...? Like this (from Google Images):

upload_2018-10-22_13-48-8.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-22_13-48-8.png
    upload_2018-10-22_13-48-8.png
    68.8 KB · Views: 415
Likes gmartine
Thank you...also besides access you wouldn't want to create any unevenness to the top surface of the beam if it were being used in flooring for example.

Likes berkeman
I don't think it matters much. the flange us there for vertical stiffness, which you get either way. Mounting as picture will add horizontal stiffness, which is nice but probably not really required.

Good point, the company does say it is stronger with flanges over and under the beam just wondering definitely if that were true (without bonding) or the stiffness remained about the same for both scenarios.

One way allow you to fit two braces, one each side of the beam.

Could be, not sure if it would be necessary but then that's why I'm here.

1. What is bracket mounting?

Bracket mounting is a method of securing an object to a surface, such as a wall or ceiling, using brackets or support arms. It is commonly used for mounting shelves, TVs, and other objects that require stability and support.

2. How do I mount a bracket?

The specific process for mounting a bracket will vary depending on the type of bracket and the surface it is being mounted to. Generally, you will need to mark the location of the bracket, drill holes into the surface, and then attach the bracket using screws or other hardware.

3. What tools do I need for bracket mounting?

The tools needed for bracket mounting will depend on the type of bracket and the surface it is being mounted to. However, some common tools that may be needed include a drill, screws, screwdriver, level, and measuring tape.

4. Can I mount a bracket without damaging the wall?

It is possible to mount a bracket without damaging the wall, but it will depend on the type of bracket and the surface it is being mounted to. Some brackets, such as adhesive or tension-mounted brackets, do not require drilling into the wall and therefore will not damage it.

5. How much weight can a bracket hold?

The weight capacity of a bracket will vary depending on its size, material, and design. It is important to check the manufacturer's instructions or specifications to ensure that the bracket can safely support the weight of the object you are mounting.