Bracket mounting question

• Thread starter gmartine
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Thanks for taking interest but I studied basic statics about three decades ago and I wasn't quite sure what the definitive answer was...can anybody tell me what the preferred arrangement of this reinforcement bracket should be?
Should it be as shown in the picture to achieve maximum stiffness or with the flanges hooked over and under the joist as the article below suggests. I thought initially the increased area moment of inertia by having the flanges mounted away from the beam would have made a difference? Assume the beam is a 12 x 2" and the hole is 8" diameter, bracketry is standard 14 guage BMS, thanks again.

metwood.png

https://www.proremodeler.com/innovative-products-metwood-building-solutions-joist-reinforcements

Attachments

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

It looks wrong when shown in isolation like that, but all of the pics at the Metwood website seem to show that orientation. I'm guessing it's because you don't always have access to the tops of the joists...? Like this (from Google Images):

upload_2018-10-22_13-48-8.png

Attachments

Thank you....also besides access you wouldn't want to create any unevenness to the top surface of the beam if it were being used in flooring for example.

russ_watters
Mentor
I don't think it matters much. the flange us there for vertical stiffness, which you get either way. Mounting as picture will add horizontal stiffness, which is nice but probably not really required.

Good point, the company does say it is stronger with flanges over and under the beam just wondering definitely if that were true (without bonding) or the stiffness remained about the same for both scenarios.

CWatters
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
One way allow you to fit two braces, one each side of the beam.

Could be, not sure if it would be necessary but then that's why I'm here.