How Do You Calculate Braking Force Without Kinetic Energy?

• Thread starter rokr32
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary, the problem is to calculate the average braking force exerted on a car that comes to rest in 15m. The average resistive force acting on the car is 2.4 x 103N. One approach is to use the equation F=ma, but the use of KE = 1/2mv2 is not allowed. Another approach is to set up a free body diagram and list all the forces acting on the car with their directions. Taking into account the resistive force of 2400N, the final answer is 2.6 x 103N.
rokr32

Homework Statement

1o27w6.jpg

The driver applies the brakes and the car comes to rest in 15m. Calculate the average braking force exerted on the car in coming to rest.

The average resistive force acting on the car is 2.4 x 103N

Homework Equations

F=ma
SUVAT maybe?

The Attempt at a Solution

When using KE = 1/2mv2, the problem is easy to solve. However, I'm not allowed to use this. Therefore, I have NO IDEA how to solve this.

One approach I took is, given that the average resistive force is 2400N, I did:
15F + 2400 = 0
F = -160N.

Then, given that the signs are irrelevant, I can add 160N to 2400N and get 2560N which rounds to 2.6 x 103N.

By the way, the answer should be 2.6 x 103N

Physics news on Phys.org
rokr32 said:

Homework Statement

1o27w6.jpg

The driver applies the brakes and the car comes to rest in 15m. Calculate the average braking force exerted on the car in coming to rest.

The average resistive force acting on the car is 2.4 x 103N

Homework Equations

F=ma
SUVAT maybe?

The Attempt at a Solution

When using KE = 1/2mv2, the problem is easy to solve. However, I'm not allowed to use this. Therefore, I have NO IDEA how to solve this.

One approach I took is, given that the average resistive force is 2400N, I did:
15F + 2400 = 0
F = -160N.
Um, where does the 15F come from?
Then, given that the signs are irrelevant, I can add 160N to 2400N and get 2560N which rounds to 2.6 x 103N.
Signs are never irrelevant! They tell you which direction (with respect to your chosen coordinate system) things are acting or moving.
By the way, the answer should be 2.6 x 103N

Can you list all the forces acting on the car and their directions? Draw a free body diagram.

FAQ: How Do You Calculate Braking Force Without Kinetic Energy?

1. What is breaking distance?

Breaking distance is the distance traveled by a car from the moment the brakes are applied to the moment the car comes to a complete stop.

2. What factors affect breaking distance?

The factors that affect breaking distance include the speed of the car, the condition of the brakes, the weight of the car, the road surface, and weather conditions.

3. How is breaking distance calculated?

Breaking distance is calculated using the formula: breaking distance = initial velocity2 / (2 * deceleration). Deceleration is a constant value that takes into account the factors mentioned in the previous question.

4. Why is knowing the breaking distance important?

Knowing the breaking distance is important for ensuring safe driving. It allows drivers to maintain a safe distance from other vehicles and adjust their speed accordingly to avoid collisions.

5. How can breaking distance be reduced?

Breaking distance can be reduced by maintaining a safe speed, regularly checking and maintaining the brakes, and keeping a safe distance from other vehicles. Adverse weather conditions and poor road conditions should also be taken into consideration when trying to reduce breaking distance.

Back