1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Breaking the coherence of an optical signal

1. Jun 17, 2013 #1
    Hi,

I am curious to know if there any passive (or simple active) methods to convert a very coherent signal into an incoherent one? I suppose I would need to find a way to chirp the signal and a non-linear medium might be one method. Any ideas?

Thanks

narra

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2013 #2
    This is a pretty vague question... certainly a nonlinear medium could be used to dephase parts of a signal.... but it is true that any coherent optical signal has a finite "coherence length", which basically is the length over which the light travels while maintaining a certain degree of coherence. So you could just increase length of the path over which your signal travels (maybe if you have a long fiber optic cable?). But coherence of an optical signal can be a tricky thing, especially for lasers, where coherence can come in and out as you increase path lengths.

Can you be any more specific with your question?

4. Jun 17, 2013 #3

Jano L.

Gold Member

In theory, you can lead the light into scattering medium, low pressure gas or other rarified substance and collect the radiation at right angle. If the distances of the scatterers are larger than the wavelength, they will give you incoherent light of the same frequency, as they have random positions. I do not know whether it is practicable though.

5. Jun 18, 2013 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The standard way to produce (spatially) incoherent light is to pass it through counter-rotating ground glass sheets. If, on the other hand, you want to decrease the *temporal* coherence, I'm not sure you can do it without complicated nonlinear processes, although it may be possible to simply use a length of photonic-crystal ("holey") fiber.

6. Jun 21, 2013 #5

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook