1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Broglie wavelength

1. Aug 2, 2008 #1
    Helium becomes a super°uid at temperatures T <
    2:18 K. A super°uid °ows with no viscosity. This behaviour
    can only be explained using quantum physics and it can
    only happen if the de Broglie wavelength of a helium atom,
    of mass m, is comparable to the inter-atomic spacing of the
    °uid. What could be an expression for
    the de Broglie wavelength?

Can anyone tell me where to learn this?

I'm currently working on Fundamentals of Physics, would I understand this when I finish the book? What level is this?

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2008 #2

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The debroglie wavelength is a concept in modern/ quantum physics. If you have an edition of Fundamentals that includes a section on modern physics, then the book should cover the DeBroglie wavelength.

In short, the Debroglie wavelength expresses the wave-particle nature of matter by assigning a wavelength to matter particles. A particle's deBroglie wavelength is given by:

[tex]\lambda_{deBroglie} = \frac{h}{p}[/tex]

where p is the particle's momentum, and h is Planck's constant.

Also, for an introductory summary of the topic:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/debrog.html

4. Aug 3, 2008 #3
    I hadn't thought of super-fluids in that way..

The OP may also want to google for thermal velocity distributions (and Bose-Einstein statistics).

5. Aug 3, 2008 #4
    oh I know that equation and stuff but I can't get an answer. Its a mutiple choice and I think the (A) Based on it looks like the mv is just changed {answers shown below on the pic I think}.

Is K a constant?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook