Bsc Eng physics, Msc Mech eng, PhD Mech eng.

In summary, the person is interested in pursuing a BSc degree in engineering physics, followed by an MSc and PhD in mechanical engineering. They are asking for input on the feasibility and potential advantages and disadvantages of this path, particularly from experienced individuals. However, there may be difficulties in getting into a graduate engineering program with an undergraduate degree in Physics due to accreditation requirements in the US. The speaker, who has a BS in math, was only able to gain acceptance to an MS program in Engineering after taking additional undergraduate courses and facing rejection from many schools.
Anyiam
Hello, pls i would like have my bsc degree in engineering physics, after which i will go for my msc in mech.eng and phd in mech eng.
pls i would like to know how feasible dis is and it's advantages and disadvantages. All comments especially from exprienced persons will greatly appriceated.
thanks in anticipation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure what country you are planning to do this in but in the US accreditation makes it hard for people with undergraduate degrees in Physics to get into graduate engineering programs. I have my BS in math and I got into a MS program in Engineering but I had to take a bunch of undergrad classes first and a lot of schools wouldn't even consider me.

1. What is the difference between Bsc Eng Physics and Msc Mech Eng?

Bsc Eng Physics focuses on the fundamentals of physics and their applications in engineering, while Msc Mech Eng delves deeper into mechanical engineering principles and their practical applications. Bsc Eng Physics is an undergraduate degree, while Msc Mech Eng is a graduate degree.

2. What is the career outlook for someone with a PhD in Mech Eng?

A PhD in Mech Eng opens up a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as aerospace, automotive, manufacturing, and research and development. With this advanced degree, individuals can pursue roles as research scientists, engineering managers, or professors in academia.

3. Can I specialize in a specific area within Mech Eng during my PhD?

Yes, during a PhD in Mech Eng, students can choose to specialize in a specific area such as materials engineering, robotics, thermal systems, or biomechanics. This allows them to focus their research and coursework on their particular interests and career goals.

4. How long does it typically take to complete a PhD in Mech Eng?

The duration of a PhD in Mech Eng varies depending on the individual's research progress, but it typically takes 4-6 years to complete. This includes coursework, research, and writing and defending a dissertation.

5. What skills do I need to succeed in a PhD program in Mech Eng?

To succeed in a PhD program in Mech Eng, you will need a strong foundation in math and physics, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and the ability to conduct independent research. It is also important to have good time management and communication skills, as well as a passion for advancing knowledge in the field of mechanical engineering.