BTU rating of Earth below frost line

In summary, when calculating the amount of heat that can be transferred from/to Earth, the amount depends on the temperature gradient between the soil and the object being heated. If the soil is dry, the transfer will be limited to what is contact with the soil. If the soil is wet, the transfer will be limited by the coefficient of thermal conductivity of the soil.
sday
Does anyone know how many BTU's the Earth is capable of transferring per minute or hour per square foot of surface area below the frost line?

thanks
-Steve

Physics news on Phys.org
Transfer from what to what, in which way? In addition, nearly any heat transfer will depend on the temperature gradient.
Do you have some specific setup in mind?

Say Earth at 55 degrees F with a rectangular cement tank buried. If The concrete if 4" thick and you put 45 degree water or 65 degree water (10 degree difference + or -), how many BTU of transfer would occur per square foot? Is that enough info?

Last edited:
That looks like a completely different question.
Yes, you can calculate it (assuming the outside remains at constant temperature), if you know the thermal conductivity of cement. It should be straight forward how to do it (just multiply everything together). If you need help there please use SI units, they are much more convenient in physics.

Can I just use H = (A(Th-Tc))/R?

I tried approaching it the same way I calculated two containers full of water separated by a copper barrier using the above formula, but I don't understand how to apply it to Earth. For a relatively small body of water can one just assume Earth is always capable of transferring at the lesser of the material in contact with soil? I have found coefficients for dry and wet soil.

Can I just assume if deep enough, the temperature of the soil will remain stable and just dutifully transfer heat at a given rate?

If the thermal conductivity of soil is significantly better (compared to cement), this should be a good approximation.

For a cylinder of infinite length or a half-sphere, it is possible to take the soil into account in an analytical way. For finite cylinders, a numerical approach or some approximation might help.

Well after looking at this, it seems like it will be difficult to determine what the transfer will be because the difference from dry soil to solid rock is a huge variable. A 4" cement wall around the container seems as if it will actually act as some what of an insulator unless it is any but dry sand. Some type of a Poly container would allow for much more transfer.

So my current thinking is that the BTU transfer of heat from/to Earth is whatever the maximum transfer ability is of the soil you are in, which has a k value of 0.15 - 7.0. I think I'm on the right track to figuring this out.

Thanks for the feedback.
-Steve

1. What is the BTU rating of the Earth below the frost line?

The BTU (British Thermal Unit) rating of the Earth below the frost line varies depending on factors such as soil composition, depth, and location. On average, it is estimated to be around 50 BTU per square foot per year.

2. Why is the BTU rating of the Earth below the frost line important?

The BTU rating of the Earth below the frost line is important because it helps determine the how much heat is lost or gained from the ground in a particular area. This information is crucial for building design and energy efficiency calculations.

3. How does the BTU rating of the Earth below the frost line affect the temperature of buildings?

The BTU rating of the Earth below the frost line plays a significant role in regulating the temperature of buildings. In colder climates, the Earth's natural insulation can help keep the ground warmer and reduce the amount of heat lost through the foundation. In warmer climates, it can help keep the ground cooler and reduce the amount of heat gained through the foundation.

4. Can the BTU rating of the Earth below the frost line change over time?

Yes, the BTU rating of the Earth below the frost line can change over time due to various factors such as changes in soil composition, vegetation, and climate. It is important to regularly monitor and update this information for accurate building design and energy efficiency calculations.

5. How do scientists calculate the BTU rating of the Earth below the frost line?

Scientists use various methods to calculate the BTU rating of the Earth below the frost line, such as conducting thermal conductivity tests on soil samples and using thermal modeling software. They also take into account factors like soil moisture and geological features to make accurate calculations.