How can a Boiler Tune Up Improve Efficiency and Save on Costs?

• Thread starter Adam Bourque
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Boiler
In summary, the conversation discusses the BTU input, annual gas usage, and average natural gas cost for a manufacturing plant and assembly/warehouse. The gas analyzer was used to check the O2 and temperature of the boiler exhaust during an on-site visit, with readings of 10% O2 and 510°F temperature rise. The solution proposes lowering the O2 level to 2% and exhaust temperature rise to 87.5, resulting in an efficiency of 87.8% from the existing 81%. This would lead to a cost savings of $5011 per year. Other suggestions for increasing efficiency include adjusting the BTU input.
Adam Bourque

Homework Statement

BTU input: 2.5 MMBtu/hr
Annual Gas usage: 8,525 MMBtu
Average Natural Gas Cost (Previous 12 months): $7.59/MMBtu

Manufacturing Plant – 7am-7pm, 7 days/week, 50 weeks/yr
Assembly/warehouse - 7:00am-10:00pm, 7 days/week, 363 days/yr

The gas analyzer was used to check the O2 and temperature of the boiler exhaust during the on-site visit. The O2 level was found to be 10% and the exhaust temperature rise was 510°F.
a.) How would you go about doing a Boiler Tune up for the following system? Be specific to what values and specifications you alter.
b.) What is the cost savings from improving the efficiency.

Homework Equations

a.)[/B]
nyz9de.png

b.)
ΔFuel Used = (new - old / new) (Old Fuel Used)

The Attempt at a Solution

a.) My recommendation is to lower the O2 level to 2% and lower the exhaust temperature rise to 87.5 to create an efficiency of 87.8% from the existing 81%. Is this possible and if so, does my readings seem right? I used the graph below. Also, is there anything else we can do to make it more efficient such as a different BTU input?
b.) (50 weeks * 7 days * 12 hours) = 4200 hours, & $7.59 MMBtu / 1.032 MCF = $7.35 per MCF
(64,704.75 Cost Year) / (4200hrs)($7.35) = 2.0960 MCF per hour
Fuel Used = (87.8 - 81 / 87.8) (2.0960) = .162332 MCF per hour
Savings = (.162332/hr)(4200 hrs/year)(7.35/MCF) = $5011/yr

I know this is a good bit of info in one problem, so I really do appreciate any feedback on this. Thanks so much.

Physics news on Phys.org
bring up my post

What is a Boiler Tune Up?

A Boiler Tune Up is a service that involves inspecting and adjusting various components of a boiler to ensure it is operating efficiently and safely.

Why is a Boiler Tune Up important?

A Boiler Tune Up is important for several reasons. First, it helps to prevent breakdowns and costly repairs by identifying and addressing potential issues early on. Second, it ensures that the boiler is operating at its maximum efficiency, saving energy and reducing utility costs. Lastly, it helps to ensure the safety of the boiler and the people using it.

How often should a Boiler Tune Up be performed?

It is recommended to perform a Boiler Tune Up at least once a year. However, if the boiler is used frequently or is older, it may be beneficial to have it tuned up more often, such as every 6 months.

What is involved in a Boiler Tune Up?

A Boiler Tune Up typically involves a thorough inspection of the boiler and all its components, such as the burners, heat exchangers, and controls. The technician will also clean and lubricate any necessary parts, and make any adjustments to ensure optimal performance. They may also check for any gas leaks and test the safety controls.

Can I perform a Boiler Tune Up myself?

No, it is not recommended to perform a Boiler Tune Up yourself. It requires specialized knowledge and equipment to properly inspect and adjust all the components of a boiler. It is best to hire a professional technician who is trained and experienced in performing Boiler Tune Ups.