Bucket of water being swung in a circle.

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter gbaby370
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Circle Water
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
gbaby370
Messages
48
Reaction score
0
I am studying for a test coming up in a few weeks, so what I generally do is be familiar with every aspect of the question.

Anyways, going back to the old swinging a pale of water in circular motion example. The force of tension and gravity would be the forces keeping the bucket in circular motion. But let's look at what's keeping the water in the bucket. Obviously the water is not falling out at the top of the circle becase the acceleration is greater than gravity. But let's say we were asked to explain this. When looking at the water and the bucket at the top of the circle, would it be safe to say that the normal force is acting downwards along with the force of gravity?

I may be thinking too much about the situation, but it never hurts to know. (Keep in mind I am new to this)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I typed a lot faster than I was thinking. What I meant to ask was; Would this be how you would explain it using a free body diagram?
 
I love simple answers = yes to both of your questions

Ps don't forget to include the tension in the rope in the FBD

Regards

Sam
 
Good thing I asked, I similar question was asked on s upraise quiz!