Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bucket of water being swung in a circle.

1. Mar 16, 2012 #1
    I am studying for a test coming up in a few weeks, so what I generally do is be familiar with every aspect of the question.

Anyways, going back to the old swinging a pale of water in circular motion example. The force of tension and gravity would be the forces keeping the bucket in circular motion. But lets look at what's keeping the water in the bucket. Obviously the water is not falling out at the top of the circle becase the acceleration is greater than gravity. But lets say we were asked to explain this. When looking at the water and the bucket at the top of the circle, would it be safe to say that the normal force is acting downwards along with the force of gravity?

I may be thinking too much about the situation, but it never hurts to know. (Keep in mind I am new to this)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2012 #2
    Sorry, I typed a lot faster than I was thinking. What I meant to ask was; Would this be how you would explain it using a free body diagram?

4. Mar 16, 2012 #3
    I love simple answers = yes to both of your questions

Ps dont forget to include the tension in the rope in the FBD

Regards

Sam

5. Mar 17, 2012 #4
    Good thing I asked, I similar question was asked on s upraise quiz!

6. Mar 17, 2012 #5
    surprise***

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook