Bucket of water being swung in a circle.

In summary, the conversation discusses studying for a test and understanding forces in circular motion using the example of swinging a bucket of water. The forces keeping the bucket in circular motion are tension and gravity, while the water is kept in the bucket by the normal force and acceleration. The person also asks for clarification on using a free body diagram to explain the situation. Finally, they mention a similar question on a quiz.
gbaby370
I am studying for a test coming up in a few weeks, so what I generally do is be familiar with every aspect of the question.

Anyways, going back to the old swinging a pale of water in circular motion example. The force of tension and gravity would be the forces keeping the bucket in circular motion. But let's look at what's keeping the water in the bucket. Obviously the water is not falling out at the top of the circle becase the acceleration is greater than gravity. But let's say we were asked to explain this. When looking at the water and the bucket at the top of the circle, would it be safe to say that the normal force is acting downwards along with the force of gravity?

I may be thinking too much about the situation, but it never hurts to know. (Keep in mind I am new to this)

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I typed a lot faster than I was thinking. What I meant to ask was; Would this be how you would explain it using a free body diagram?

I love simple answers = yes to both of your questions

Ps don't forget to include the tension in the rope in the FBD

Regards

Sam

Good thing I asked, I similar question was asked on s upraise quiz!

surprise***

1. What causes the water to stay in the bucket when it is being swung in a circle?

The centrifugal force created by the circular motion of the bucket keeps the water inside, overcoming the force of gravity which would normally pull the water out.

2. Will the speed of the water in the bucket increase as it is swung faster?

Yes, the faster the bucket is swung, the greater the centrifugal force and the faster the water will move within the bucket.

3. Why does the water not spill out of the bucket when it is swung upside down?

This is due to the principle of inertia, which states that objects tend to resist changes in their motion. When the bucket is turned upside down, the water wants to continue moving in a straight line but is contained by the circular motion of the bucket.

4. How does the shape of the bucket affect the movement of the water?

The shape of the bucket can affect the distribution of the water and the speed at which it moves. A deeper and wider bucket will create more centrifugal force and allow the water to move faster, while a shallower or narrower bucket may not contain the water as well.

5. What would happen if the bucket is swung in a horizontal plane instead of a vertical one?

If the bucket is swung in a horizontal plane, the water would not stay in the bucket due to the lack of centrifugal force. It would instead spill out the sides of the bucket due to the force of gravity pulling it down.