Building a Discussion Group Using Set Theory

In summary, the conversation discusses using set theory to design a discussion group. The initial sets given are Persons and Strings, and from these sets, the sets of Members, Topics, Statements, and Views must be created. Members is a subset of Persons, Topics is a subset of Strings, Statements is a subset of Strings, and Views is a subset of Members x Statements.
Shephard
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas how to approach this model building exercise. I've got to use set theory to design a discussion group, I'm given two initial sets (Persons and Strings), from this I have to make the following sets:

Members - set of members, each member is a person.
(This i believe is a simple set in which member is a subset of Persons)

Topics - set of topics debated, each topic is a string.
(I believe topic is a subset of string)

Statements - set of statements made by members, eash statement is a string.
(Again i think this is a simple statement is subset of string)

Views - set of views of members on topics, each view consists of of a statement and the name of the member who made the statement.
(This I am unsure of notation on, as view consists of a member and a statement)

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Shephard said:
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas how to approach this model building exercise. I've got to use set theory to design a discussion group, I'm given two initial sets (Persons and Strings), from this I have to make the following sets:

Members - set of members, each member is a person.
(This i believe is a simple set in which member is a subset of Persons)

Topics - set of topics debated, each topic is a string.
(I believe topic is a subset of string)

Statements - set of statements made by members, eash statement is a string.
(Again i think this is a simple statement is subset of string)

Views - set of views of members on topics, each view consists of of a statement and the name of the member who made the statement.
(This I am unsure of notation on, as view consists of a member and a statement)

Thanks in advance.

Assuming the sets of members and statements are already defined, then views [tex]\subseteq[/tex]members x statements where x is the cartesian product operator.

Thanks, that makes sense

1. What is set theory model building?

Set theory model building is the process of constructing mathematical models using the principles of set theory. These models help us understand the relationships between different sets of objects and how they interact with each other.

2. Why is set theory model building important in science?

Set theory model building is important in science because it allows us to represent complex systems and phenomena in a simplified and structured way. This makes it easier for scientists to study and analyze these systems, and make predictions about their behavior.

3. How do scientists use set theory models in their research?

Scientists use set theory models in their research by first identifying the relevant sets of objects and their relationships, and then defining these relationships using mathematical operations such as union, intersection, and complement. They then use these models to make predictions and test their hypotheses.

4. Can set theory models be applied to all fields of science?

Yes, set theory models can be applied to all fields of science as long as there are sets of objects and relationships between them that can be defined mathematically. Examples of fields where set theory models are commonly used include physics, biology, economics, and computer science.

5. What are the limitations of set theory model building?

One limitation of set theory model building is that it may not accurately capture the full complexity of a system or phenomenon. This is because it simplifies the relationships between sets and may not account for all variables. Additionally, the accuracy of the model depends on the accuracy of the data and assumptions used to build it.